Box Office Manager
The Box Office Manager is an experienced box office professional who will have extensive box office and sales knowledge as well as strong fluency in the Tessitura CRM (or similar) environment. Reporting to the Senior Manager of Patron Services, this position will manage and support the day to day operations of the Theatre Calgary Box Office. They will administer and oversee the ticketing portion of the CRM platform, manage ticket and subscription sales for all shows, and maintains a smoothly efficient ticketing and patron experience for all Theatre Calgary audience members.
Duties and responsibilities
- Works within Tessitura CRM and TNEW e-commerce platform to manage and implement the annual season setup of all performances, subscriptions, pricing, sales campaigns/appeals, subscription rollover, promotions, discounting, etc. within the system to given deadlines and to ensure effective subscription and ticket purchasing for patrons both via our box office team and our online purchase path.
- Oversees all facets of all box office sales campaigns, including but not limited to: annual subscription renewal, single ticket sales, promotional and discounted sales initiatives, etc.
- Monitors and updates all Box Office and ticketing related information within the Tessitura and TNEW environments to support changes and improvements throughout the season. Ensures that all ticket, pricing, and season information is current and accurate at all times.
- Coordinates with the Senior Manager of Patron Services to develop daily/weekly sales and inventory reporting and dashboards to ensure all departments have concise insight into on-going sales initiatives, fund development campaigns as well as season subscription and single ticket sales data.
- Reviews and implements inventory management strategies throughout the season to maximize revenue. This may include appropriately timed seat releases and theatre holds (as appropriate).
- Collaborates with the Director of Marketing and Communication and Senior Manager of Patron Services to develop and implement in all incoming and outbound call campaigns via Box Office staff as well as ensuring the on-going internal communication, sharing information regarding dates, events, audience feedback, etc. within the Box Office team and the wider administrative staff.
- Manages the Box Office team of one (1) Assistant Box Office Manager, two (2) full-time Box Office Associates, and a variable number of part-time Box Office Associates.
- Act as a point of escalation for difficult patron interactions (as required).
- Hire all new Box Office Associates (as required). This includes permanent full-time Box Office staff as well as cultivating a collection of hourly and part-time Box Office Associates that can be utilized during peak periods.
- Works with Senior Manager of Patron Services to evaluate and update Box Office policies and procedures (as necessary).
- Works with the Finance team to ensure the accurate reconciliation of ticket sales on a monthly basis.
- Keeps accurate and legible records (accounting, communications, pending files, etc.)
- Holds a high level of familiarity and fluency with all aspects of Theatre Calgary so as to provide patrons, donors, and potential customers with accurate information regarding the company, our productions, the theatre, policies, and procedures. These communications must be made with the primary goal of ensuring the utmost patron experience.
- Contributes to the environment of the Box Office and Theatre Calgary administrative office in a manner that is conducive to customer service, sales promotion, safety, and balanced quality of work life.
- Acts as a Tessitura subject-matter expert for the Box Office team.
- Provides backup support to the entire Box Office team during peak periods.
- Other duties to assist the Senior Manager of Patron Services (as required).
Experience and Qualifications
- Demonstrated and proven practical knowledge of Box Office and sales operations; performing arts preferred, other live-entertainment sales operations may be considered.
- A minimum of at least two (2) years’ experience with Tessitura (or similar CRM) is required
- Experience working within the SQL environment is preferred
- Strong predilection for self-directed learning
- Ability to work with others, as well as self-directed
- Must be comfortable and productive in a fast-paced and dynamic workplace
- Must be flexible and work well under stress
- Must be well organized, decisive and have good follow-through skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (both oral and written)
- A professional demeanor and experience/ability in dealing with discerning patrons
- Experience in Microsoft Office
- An appreciation for the arts and for theatre.
This position is a full-time permanent position that may requires weekend and evening work depending on performances. As this position deals directly with Theatre Calgary patrons and corporate event clients it may on occasion require professional interaction to foster ongoing positive relationships.
Salary and Benefits
Salary Range: $48,000-$53,000
After initial probationary period employees will be eligible to join our group RRSP plan with employer matching and comprehensive healthcare program.
About Theatre Calgary
Theatre Calgary’s vision is to stand amongst the best theatres globally as a leader in innovative, impactful and diverse programming. Our mission is to stimulate, provoke and delight through ambitious programming created to ignite local, national and international engagement in a sustainable manner. Theatre Calgary reflects the communities, the country, and the world we live in with ambitious programming, passionate community engagement and extraordinary productions. For more than 50 years, we have focused our energy on providing our community with the highest level of classic and contemporary plays, featuring the best artists from Calgary and across the country.
Theatre Calgary encourages applications from our diverse community. Theatre Calgary is committed to equity, diversity, and inclusion. We recognize that increasing the diversity of our staff, on all levels, in integral to accomplishing this objective. We are creating policies, practices, and programs that work toward the goal of dismantling systemic racism. We welcome all applications from women and gender nonconforming people, people of color, indigenous peoples, people with disabilities, people of all sexual orientations, and all others who may contribute to the further diversification of Theatre Calgary.
In the spirit of reconciliation, Theatre Calgary acknowledges that we live, work and create on the traditional territories of the Blackfoot Confederacy (Siksika, Kainai, Piikani), the Tsuut’ina, the Îyâxe Nakoda Nations, the Métis Nation (Region 3), and all people who make their homes in the Treaty 7 region of Southern Alberta. They were the original occupants of this land and continue to be here to this day. Theatre Calgary is grateful to have the opportunity to present in this territory.
Please submit applications to: Careers@theatrecalgary.com
We thank all those expressing interest in the role but only those selected for interview will be contacted.
Closing Date for Applications: Until a suitable candidate is found