Theatre Calgary will be holding virtual auditions for the company of Shakespeare by the Bow (SBTB) which will perform an abridged version of The Merry Wives of Windsor as directed by JANE MACFARLANE. Theatre Calgary is very interested in seeing performers from all backgrounds, ethnicities, and abilities, especially those who have been marginalized and underrepresented in the theatre community.
Shakespeare by the Bow is a program designed to help emerging actors make the transition from their training into the professional theatre. This year the company will be a troupe of six actors who will perform 8 shows a week in various outside locations around Calgary and surrounding area. The troupe will travel to performance locations in a van and will be responsible for setting up and striking all scenic and technical elements.*If you have physical limitations that may impact this aspect of the job, please discuss as work-arounds are definitely possible.
Participants will be paid a fee of $650.00 per week.
*All participants must be fully vaccinated against COVID at least two weeks prior to the start of the contract.
First day of rehearsal: Friday June 17, 2022
Opening: Friday July 8, 2022
Closing: Sunday August 7, 2022
- Must either live in Alberta or be from Alberta. No housing or transportation will be provided.
- Cannot be mid-program at a post-secondary institution, whether in theatre or something else.
- Post-secondary education is not required but participants must be at least 18 years old.
- Cannot have more than six years of experience in the theatre community after completion of educational program (high school or post-secondary). *If you graduated earlier but have not been a fully active member of the theatre community for six years, please indicate this and explain.
- Cannot be a full member of Canadian Actors’ Equity Association (CAEA) or ACTRA.
PLEASE PREPARE (ON VIDEO)
- A short introduction of yourself and why you are interested in being in SBTB this summer – 2 min max
- One monologue/soliloquy of your choice from any play by Shakespeare (doesn’t have to be age appropriate or gender-traditional) – 2 min max
- Either a second, contrasting Shakespearian monologue or a song or a dance/physical piece – 2 min max
- Optional: a video of a special skill such as playing an instrument, juggling, etc. – 1 min max
Please submit headshots and resumes* and either YouTube or Vimeo link(s)** to the video(s) to Susan McNair Reid, Theatre Calgary, at our audition email address firstname.lastname@example.org by the end of the day on Monday, February 21 (Family Day). Please use “SBTB audition submission” in the subject line. All artists will be contacted, even if there is no role for them this year. Some applicants will be contacted to set up a Zoom callback.
*Headshots do not need to be from a professional photographer and resumes should include any performing arts (drama, music, dance) training and/or experience, any special skills that may be useful, as well as contact information.
**These platforms do not require the viewer to download videos and the links can be easily forwarded to the director. Submissions will be watched by Jane MacFarlane and Susan McNair Reid.