RISER Edmonton is a collaborative producing model for theatre and interdisciplinary artists to create and present new work. Common Ground Arts Society, in partnership with Why Not Theatre, will support the development and production of four new Edmonton-based projects in the 2023 season through RISER!
Originally developed by Why Not Theatre in 2014, RISER was created to address challenges in producing independent theatre. RISER Edmonton connects senior leadership from the performing arts community with underserved artists to maximize existing infrastructures, share resources and risk, help build new audiences, and support a commitment to create and innovate.
The 2023 Senior Partners for RISER Edmonton are Edmonton Fringe Theatre, Citadel Theatre, Catalyst Theatre, and Azimuth Theatre.
RISER Edmonton will provide you with:
– 3 weeks of rehearsal space assigned on the basis of needs and availability;
– A shared Lighting Designer, selected and paid for by RISER Edmonton;
– A shared Production Manager (PM)/Technical Director (TD), selected and paid for by RISER Edmonton. NOTE: you may still want or need your own PM and TD for managing your show’s specific technical and building needs; the RISER Edmonton PM/TD focuses on coordination and management of the RISER Edmonton model itself;
– A shared Publicist, selected and paid for by RISER Edmonton;
- 2-3 eight-hour days of tech time in the performance space (schedule and hours TBD);
– Technicians for load-in, load-out, and run of shows, selected by RISER Edmonton;
– 6-10 public performances over a two-week time frame at the ATB Financial Arts Barns in February-March 2023;
– Box office, ticketing, and Front of House support via lead Senior Partner Edmonton Fringe Theatre. NOTE: ticket prices and policies will be set by RISER Edmonton in consultation with the each RISER company with considerations for Offer What You Will options;
– 100% of net Box Office revenues; and
– Ongoing and project specific mentoring, assistance, and consultation with Common Ground Arts Society and Why Not Theatre artistic and administrative staff in all areas of producing at individual & group meetings. This includes hands-on support in grant applications, fundraising, and whatever else you need to be successful.
You are an independent artist, artist collective, or company who:
– Has a show in development, or has an idea of a show you hope to produce in the next year;
– is a project-based artist/collective/company. Sorry, if you receive any level of operational funding, this opportunity is not for you;
– is available for tech and performances between January and March 2023 (exact schedule TBD); and
– is available for 8-10 All-RISER meetings between April 2022 and January 2023, exact dates TBD based on participant availability.
Click the link below for full details, ways to get support from CGAS on your application, and submission methods. Apply by 11:59pm MST on Friday February 4, 2022!