6-12 Months Full-time Contract
Temporary Maternity Leave Coverage
About Vertigo Theatre
Vertigo Theatre is a premier cultural institution in Calgary, and has entertained audiences for 45 years with high-quality programming. It is the only theatre in North America programming a season based entirely in the mystery genre. Located at the base of the Calgary Tower, the Vertigo complex is home to our administration, ticket offices and two performance venues. Vertigo aims to thrill, entertain and challenge by creating theatre that ignites the curiosity of our community. We are dedicated to the revitalization of the mystery theatre genre as well as to inspire and mentor the next generation of arts leaders.
About the Position
Vertigo Theatre is looking for a dynamic, collaborative team member with a passion for theatrical innovation, mentorship, and training. The candidate will have proven experience, superior interpersonal, project management, time management, personnel management, financial management, facility management and conflict resolution skills.
Reporting to the Artistic Director, the Production Manager is responsible for encouraging the highest level of creation in the Production Department and facilitating the flow of information amongst artistic, administrative and production staff.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Develop and oversee budgets for the Department’s personnel, casual labour, seasonal supplies and production expenses.
- Personnel and contractor management, including selection and hiring of designers, stage management, and contractors in consultation with the Artistic Director, managing communication with Stage Management, and delegating tasks within the department.
- In conjunction with the Artistic Director and the Executive Director, scheduling of productions, including rehearsals and performances, design and construction deadlines, production meetings, tech weeks, strike and load-outs, and venue maintenance.
- Ensure compliance with all government policies, collective agreements and engagement contracts (i.e. Canadian Theatre Agreement and Associated Designers of Canada Agreement), as well as company policies including Vertigo’s policies for COVID, personnel, fire code, etc.
- Other responsibilities as may be reasonably assigned by the Artistic Director.
Skills and Requirements
- Project Management experience in a supervisory role
- Experience in Personnel Management
- Experience in Creating and Managing budgets
- Experience working with the Canadian Theatre Agreement (CTA) and with Associated Designers of Canada (ADC)
- Proven attention to detail, consistency, and accuracy
- Familiarity with production techniques and cost estimation
- Experience leading and supervising a crew
- Experience working with Designers and Directors
- Excellent communication skills, both verbally and in writing
- Ability to maintain a high quality of workmanship, achieving the attention to detail that the Theatre requires
- Degree in Technical Theatre with three (3) years of experience working in a professional theatre company OR equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Experience working in Excel spreadsheets using formulas
- Valid Class 5 Driver’s License (or equivalent) and clean Driver’s Abstract
- Ability to draft in Vectorworks an asset
- Certifications are an asset, including:
- Standard First Aid
- Possession and Acquisition License
- Fall Arrest Certification
- Pyrotechnics License
Vertigo Theatre encourages a team-oriented environment. All personnel are required to participate in a wide range of activities or take on additional responsibilities from time to time that may be outside of the Core Responsibilities & Duties for each position.
40 hours per week, with evenings and weekends when required.
Starting Mid-April, 2022 with a contract length of 6 months to one year to cover a maternity leave – exact dates TBD.
Training dates in March 2022 TBD.
$55,000 – $60,000 annual salary based on experience.
As this is a management position, overtime is not applicable. Vertigo Theatre encourages Managers to organize their schedules as required to balance out heavier work periods vs. lighter in order to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Please note parking expenses are the employee’s responsibility and no designated parking is available onsite.
Deadline to Submit
The position will remain open until an appropriate candidate is selected. Interviews will start in February, 2022.
Please send a cover letter with a resume or CV as well as three references to Laura Couch, Company Manager, at email@example.com.
Please use the subject line “Production Manager Application”.
At Vertigo Theatre we are committed to a respectful work environment and a diverse workforce. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals including visible minorities and people with disabilities.
Thank you to all applicants. Only those selected for interviews will be contacted. No phone calls please. For more information about Vertigo Theatre please visit our website, vertigotheatre.com.