TITLE: Interim Operations Manager
POSITION STATUS: Full-Time Temporary Employment: 12-15 months
REPORTS TO: Artistic Producer
POSTING DATE: December 17, 2021
CLOSING DATE: January 16, 2022
TARGET START DATE: February 14, 2022
A not-for-profit organization and registered charity, Workshop West Playwrights’ Theatre (WWPT) is a professional, Edmonton-based theatre company that supports, develops, and champions the work of playwrights in Alberta and across Canada at all experience levels. The company acts as a launch pad for works that illuminate issues important to our time, reflect the diversity of our country, advance equity, and build community. WWPT connects Albertans to professional theatre that is daring, diverse and dynamic, including mainstage productions, a new play festival, play readings, classes, workshops, residencies, vibrant outreach, and public engagement initiatives. We serve our community by providing quality artistic programming created by local artists at affordable prices and opportunities for artistic development and playwriting education to artists and the public.
WWPT is currently recruiting for an Interim Operations Manager to maintain the organization’s ongoing operations, programming initiatives, project management, and development planning during a maternity leave. This includes being responsible for the day-to-day administration, financials, and operations of WWPT.
The Operations Manager reports to and supports the Artistic Producer in carrying out WWPT’s mission and advancing the organization’s current strategic priorities, including facility management of a theatre venue.
Administrative and Operational Management
- Daily operations and functions of the organization
- Basic day-to-day office systems management
- Maintaining records, databases, memberships and subscriptions
- Professional Association of Canadian Theatres (PACT) and Canadian Actors’ Equity Association (CAEA) business including contracts, cheques, production registrations
- Other artist contracts and payments
- Overseeing payroll in tandem with a bookkeeper
- CRA/WCB Business
- Basic day-to-day office systems management
- Collaborate and generate final reports to granting agencies
- Insurance renewals
- Financial Management
- Monitoring annual operating budget, and project budgets
- Managing daily company finances, including processing accounts receivable, accounts payable, payroll, remittance of payroll deductions, banking and managing cash flow, tracking deficit plan
- Prepare operations reports for the Board of Directors
- Works with a bookkeeper to maintain the company’s financial records (unless candidate has bookkeeping experience)
Ensures compliance with CRA Charities and AGLC guidelines
- With the Artistic Producer and the Community Outreach and Audience Relations staff member: assist to implement communication schedules and campaigns
- In collaboration Artistic Producer and the Community Outreach and Audience Relations staff member: plan, implement and oversee marketing and promotion initiatives
- In collaboration with the Artistic Producer and the Community Outreach and Audience -Relations staff member: organize and administer outreach activities
- Working with the Artistic Producer, assist in the creation and implementation of both short and long-term projects
- Working with the Artistic Producer and the Community Outreach and Audience Relations staff member, assist with maintaining donor stewardship and engagement
- Grant writing and reporting
- Collaboration on development strategies
- Create and implement fundraising plans with the Artistic Producer and Community Outreach and Audience Relations staff member
- Lead and develop new revenue-generating initiatives with individuals, corporations, and foundations
- Management of contract staff in coordination with the Artistic Producer
- Overseeing the logistics and planning of all company events
- Assist in preparing upcoming budgets
- Negotiations with contractors and presenters
- Manage and oversee the execution and reconciliation of production expenses, as well as tracking and processing revenues
- Working with the Artistic Producer and the Community Outreach and Audience Relations staff member to assist in the implementation of marketing plans
- Rentals, bookings, invoicing
- Overseeing maintenance & cleaning contractors
- Liaison with service providers and Landlord
- Minimum 2 years experience in a relevant field(s) preferred
- Knowledge and understanding of Edmonton’s arts and culture sector is an asset
- Excellent time management skills
- Strong multi-tasking abilities and the ability to work in a fast-paced work environment with many competing priorities
- Strong communication skills, both written and oral
- Financial and project Management experience with strong attention to detail, process, and documentation
- Ability to learn and adhere to established processes, as well as develop new processes as required
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office Applications (Windows and Mac OS).
- Familiarity with Quickbooks or another bookkeeping system is an asset
- Working experience with database systems is an asset
- Demonstrated experience and success working with communities in program support, fund development, community development, and/or outreach
WWPT has moved to a hybrid operational model through the COVID 19 pandemic, with a flexible work-from-home and office schedule, however more time at the venue/offices is required. There is regular contact with stakeholders and the public through digital platforms, and in-person at the WWPT theatre venue and offices, as well as around Edmonton on occasion. This position will involve occasional evening and weekend work.
There are some physical requirements such as setting up of tables and chairs for meetings/rentals, moving production or meeting-related items in and out of vehicles, and travelling off-site to other locations to make purchases.
HOW TO APPLY:
Visit https://www.workshopwest.org/employment. Fill out the application form by clicking on the APPLY NOW button below, no later than 11:59pm MST on Sunday, January 16, 2022. Applicants are required to submit a cover letter and resume in one PDF document addressed to Artistic Producer, Heather Inglis. Your cover letter and resume should clearly outline previous work experience relating to the position. Only applications received through the application form will be accepted. Emailed applications will not be considered.
Interviews will take place in-person January 24 – February 4, 2022. Shortlisted candidates will be required to submit a minimum of 3 references and may be asked to enter a second phase of the hiring process, during which they may be asked to complete certain tasks demonstrating certain abilities specifically related to the position. The successful applicant will be expected to participate in paid orientation/training for a minimum 3-week period prior to the current Operations Manager’s maternity leave start date. *The selected applicant must be willing to provide a valid police security clearance at their own expense prior to their hiring.
As an equal opportunity and inclusive employer, WWPT welcomes applications from all qualified individuals. We thank all applicants in advance, however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.