Federal Support Programs and Benefits
In light of the new COVID-19 protocols, we would like that take this opportunity to highlight the federal support programs and benefits that the Government of Canada had announced near the end 2021.
1. The following programs are open for applications and available to organizations throughout lockdown restrictions and associated revenue loss:
- Wage and rent support for organizations where more than 50% of your eligible revenue comes from one or more of the tourism, hospitality, arts, entertainment, or recreation activities included in the above link
- You must have a 12-month average revenue drop from March 2020 to February 2021 of at least 40% and must have a claim period revenue drop of at least 40%.
- However, if your organization is subject to a qualifying public health restriction, you must demonstrate a 40% revenue drop for the current claim period when compared to the corresponding prior reference period, but you do not need to calculate a 12-month average revenue drop.
- Organizations can apply for wage and rent support through the HHBRP if they do not quality for the THRP
- You must have a 12-month average revenue drop from March 2020 to February 2021 of at least 50%, and a claim period of revenue drop of at least 50%
2. The following program is open for applications and available to workers:
- Available to employed and self-employed individuals when a lockdown order is designated for your region.
- The benefit provides $300 per week ($270 after taxes withheld) to supplement lost wages.
- This benefit is in addition to the Canada Recovery Sickness Benefit and the Canada Recovery Caregivers Benefit, both of which remain available.
3. The following is an upcoming program that is currently awaiting approved regulation:
- Wage and rent subsidies for organizations that are subject to public health capacity restrictions of 50% or more.
- Would be able to apply for two claim periods, from December 19th 2021 to February 12th, 2022
- The Local Lockdown Program’s revenue decline threshold will be lowered from 40% to 25% and organizations can receive subsidy of 25% up to 75%, depending on how much revenue has been lost.
- Organizations must only demonstrate revenue loss for the current month, compared to 2019, and will apply at the end of the period, like previous wage and rent support.
- This program is awaiting regulatory approval. Once applications are open, you will be able to apply retroactively. We will provide more information as it becomes available.