AUDITIONS for The Pirates of Penzance
Written: Gilbert & Sullivan
Directed: Paige Fossheim
Music Direction: Winnifred Hume
Choreography: Karen Iwanski
Presented LIVE, IN-PERSON at the Pumphouse Theatre Apr 29 – May 14, 2022
About the Play:
Strike up the band for one of Gilbert and Sullivan’s most beloved operettas! The Pirates of Penzance combines whimsy, light-hearted satire and piratical characters with stirring music, including the iconic “Major-General’s Song”. This is the play that cemented the comic-pirate theme in popular culture, a theme that has lasted through more than a century and spawned countless movies and novels. Jam-packed with sentimental, swashbuckling pirates, a completely dotty Major General and a bumbling bunch of hopeless but hilarious policemen, what could possibly go wrong? To add to the topsy-turvy nature of G&S, Morpheus will be flipping the genders of all your favourite characters.
Open auditions for all roles will take place:
- Thursday Jan 6 (7:00 to 9:30pm)
- Sunday Jan 9 (1:00 to 4:00pm)
Auditions are located at the Morpheus Rehearsal Centre in Parkdale (3512 – 5th Avenue NW, lower level of the Parkdale Community Centre).
Callbacks, if required, will take place on Thurs Jan 13 from 7:00 to 10:00pm.
- Auditions and Callbacks will take place in-person. Face masks are mandatory within the rehearsal space.
- A prepared song to highlight your vocal abilities (approximately 2 minutes long, not from The Pirates of Penzance)
- Auditioners will need to provide their own music track. Please email your music at least 48 hours prior to your audition to email@example.com . It is recommended that you also bring your music on an MP3 player. A capella auditions are also welcome.
- A prepared comedic monologue to highlight your abilities (no more than two minutes in length)
- A cold read may be requested. You may be asked for a range check.
- Auditioners are asked to complete an online audition form, with an acting resume and headshot.
Rehearsal and Performance Requirements:
- In compliance of provincial health regulations, all cast and crew must be fully vaccinated to participate in this production.
- The read-through and first rehearsal will take place in-person on Sunday January 30 (1 to 5pm)
- In-person rehearsals will take place at the Morpheus Rehearsal Centre Tuesday and Thursday evenings (7pm to 10pm) and Sunday afternoons (1pm to 5pm).
- Performances will take place indoors – live and in-person – at the Pumphouse Theatre.
Morpheus Theatre encourages individuals of all genders, ethnicities, and abilities to audition. Not a traditional actor? That is okay, get in touch with us and we will find a way for you to showcase what you have to offer.