Jason Kenney’s HOT BOY SUMMER The Musical
Book and Lyrics: Byron Martin
Music: Simon Abbott
Directed: Byron Martin
SEEKING: Ensemble/Understudy Roles for all tracks. This is a general call for both male and female tracks for potential added roles and understudy needs for the production.
Auditions: January 5th, 2022
Submission deadline: January 3rd, 2022
Actors will be paid Equity rates following the DOT agreement.
ABOUT THE MUSICAL
It’s 1983 at Alberta University. Newly-elected student union president Jason Kenney and his frat, Upsilon Cappa Pi, are planning the hottest year-end party ever (rodeo-themed of course). But Kenney’s nemesis Rachel will do anything to stop him. Soon Dean Trudeau, his new friend Deena, and even his frat mates are turning against him. Can Kenney save his hot summer party, and his frat at the same time?
ABOUT GRINDSTONE THEATRE
Grindstone is an improv-based theatre company. Grindstone wrote and produced the disturbingly popular Thundercats: The Musical for the 2019 Fringe. Other mainstage productions include the award-winning improvised musical The 11 O’clock Number, Urinetown The Musical, The Adventures of Chucky and Reggie, Here Lies Henry, The Complete Works of Shakespeare Abridged, HONK! The Ugly Duckling Musical, and Shakespeare’s Henry V.
To submit your interest, email your resume and headshot to Byron at [email protected]. Please write “Kenney Audition” in the subject line. In an effort to reduce paper consumption, we accept online submissions only.
Auditions will consist of a comedic monologue, a musical theatre or comedic song, and may have a movement/dance component.
If you are unable to join us in person, video submissions will be accepted. Please submit a video of you performing a comedic monologue and a musical theatre or comedic song.
1. Kenney — Head of the party frat Upsilon Cappa Pi. Tenor/High Baritone.
2. Dean/ Justin Trudeau — Curmudgeonly Dean of the College and Rachel’s good-looking but aloof boyfriend, and son of the dean. Baritone.
3. Rachel (Notley) — Head of the rival sorority Nu Delta Pi. Strong voice is needed with a good higher register.
4. Deena (Hinshaw) — Standard nerd that gets caught between Rachel’s schemes and Kenney’s attempts to save his frat’s year-end party.
5. Sarah (Hoffman) — Nu Delta Pi sorority sister.
6. Kaycee (Madu) — Nigerian-Canadian member of the Upsilon Kappa frat.
7. Tyler (Shandro) — Upsilon Cappa party boy.
8. Tracy (Allard) — Upsilon Cappa party girl.
NOTE: All roles will include dancing and group movement. Improv and Sketch performers are encouraged to apply.
Grindstone Theatre is committed to inclusive casting. We encourage submissions from professional artists who self-identify as members of under-represented communities.