Associate Festival Director (Theatre) 2022
In an effort to better represent the diversity of our community, we are actively seeking a person who is Indigenous, Black, or a Person of Colour for this 9-month contract.
The Associate Festival Director (Theatre) works with the Festival Director (Christine Lesiak) to implement the artistic vision of the Play the Fool Theatre Festival.
Application Deadline: December 17, 2021, or until position is filled.
- Collaborating with the Festival Director regarding curation and programming
- Acting as artist liaison for Festival Cabaret event(s).
- Communicating with festival cabaret artists for non-production related requirements
- Assist in ensuring that laws relating to licensing, performing rights, and aspects of public safety are followed
- Assisting in planning and implementing the Opening Night Cabaret and the Festival Cabaret
- Be on site during the duration of the festival
- Understanding and adhering to the Festival’s Safer Spaces and Code of Conduct policies: playthefool.ca/about/safer-spaces-policies/
Term & Schedule:
- This is a 9-month contract
- Part-time flexible/remote: programming and planning meetings and duties from January – July 2022 (approx. 30 hrs)
- Part-time flexible/remote: late Aug-Sept 16th, leading up to the Festival (approx. 30 hrs)
- Full-time in-person: week of Play the Fool Theatre Festival, Sept 20-25th (approx. 40 hrs)
Total number of hours: Approx. 100
Compensation: $2500 CDN
Proof of Full Vaccination against COVID-19 is required for this position.
Our ideal candidate will:
- Be a resident of Amiskwaciwâskahikan, known colonially as Edmonton, Alberta
- Have experience in the local live-theatre scene. Experience with cabaret-type events is a bonus!
- Have experience and knowledge of clowning and physical comedy
- Have experience working with artists from diverse backgrounds
- Be a collaborator with excellent written communication skills.
- Be organized and detail-oriented. This position requires clear and timely communication with many performing artists and other Festival staff.
Note the Festival staff uses primarily Slack and email for communications.
Send a CV/resume, and a short (1 page max!) cover letter outlining your interest in the position to Festival Director, Christine Lesiak, firstname.lastname@example.org, by December 17th, 2021.
Your letter should highlight:
- Your experience in the local live-performing arts community
- Your experience/knowledge of clowning-theatre and physical comedy
- Any experience working with artists in cabaret-type events
- Why do you want to work with our Festival team? What excites you about this opportunity?
We welcome and encourage applications from people from diverse gender identities and expressions. Accommodations for applicants are available upon request.
Please contact: Christine Lesiak, email@example.com