Assistant Head Stage Carpenter
Edmonton Opera seeks an individual interested in working as the Assistant Head Stage Carpenter.
About the position:
- This is an hourly position which falls under the EO/IATSE 210 Collective Agreement.
- This opportunity requires availability for the entire Tech/Show period for the Opera production season.
- Duties include overseeing and assisting with the assembly and operation of all scenery for performances, events and any duties associated with the carpentry department at the performance venue.
- Participate as a member of the running crew during performances and onstage rehearsals. This position has direct contact with the performers of EO and must have an outstanding professional demeanor, attitude and work ethic.
- Wages/benefits as per the EO/IATSE Collective agreement.
- Reports to and is supervised by the Production & Technical Director and Head Stage Carpenter.
- This position is based out of EO’s performance venue, the Northern Alberta Jubilee Auditorium, and other possible locations.
- Complimentary tickets as per Edmonton Opera’s complimentary ticket policy.
- The successful applicant will also have first choice of any additional work that may become available throughout the season.
- Work will be performed at EO’s Production Facility, 15230-128Ave; and the performance venue, The Northern Alberta Jubilee Auditorium.
Expected 2021-22 schedule:
- Gala: January 3-6, 2022 (Load-in to Strike @ the Jubilee)
- La Boheme: January 28 – February 12, 2022 (Load-in to Strike @ the Jubilee)
- Cosi fan tutte: March 13 – 26, 2022 (Load-in to Strike @ the Jubilee)
- Other various dates and times as needed
*Applicants must be available for all of the productions – EO is unable to hire this position for individual shows and will only hire for the complete season*
- Experience as a stage carpenter – assembling, rigging, fitting scenery.
- Experience building and repairing scenery onstage.
- Experience working with union crews and experience on backstage running crew.
- Experience with rigging and working in a counter-weight fly house.
- Experience leading set-up and running crews and able to cover head of department duties as required from time-to-time.
- Experience in loading trailers (if needed).
- Ability and experience to work with various power tools and hand tools in a safe and appropriate manner.
- Ability to work on an elevated platform, including a scissor lift as well as various ladder types and heights.
- Ability to adjust finished projects to work within the design esthetic of the production.
- Ability to lift and work with weight in excess of 40 pounds.
- Willingness to complete the regular duties required by the carpentry department in the performance venue.
- Willingness to keep spaces organized, safe, clean and of the highest standards.
- Knowledge and adherence of safe working practices.
- Willingness to wear a costume onstage if required.
- Must be a graduate of a post-secondary, theatrical training program.
- Must be in good standing with I.A.T.S.E. Local 210 as a member, sister-member or have permit status.
- Completed Jubilee Auditorium Orientation.
- Must have scissor lift and fall arrest certification as required by the Jubilee Auditorium.
To apply for this position please email your resume, references, and any other pertinent information to Edmonton Opera Attn: Production Department.
E-mail to: [email protected]
For further information on this opportunity please contact [email protected]
Closing date for applications is December 17th, 2021.
The position may be filled before the closing of the posting.
Interviews are only scheduled as/if needed.
Only appropriate candidates will be contacted.
Edmonton Opera is an equal opportunity employer.