Led by Ghost River Theatre Artistic Director Eric Rose and Nel Crouch (Artistic Director of UK’s award-winning Bucket Club), the National Devised Theatre Intensive is a 3-week, comprehensive, advanced program of study designed for established and emerging artists and educators drawn from the national community. Open to adventurous artists in all media (designers, dramaturg, performers, writers, dancers, visual artists, musicians, digital artists, etc.) the intensive explores the complexities and potentials of a guided, complete devised production process, from initial idea to public presentation, in 3 weeks of intensive hands-on-creation.
2022’s guest instructor is Nel Crouch of Bucket Club in Surrey, UK! This year there will be a special focus on exploring the human experience through ensemble and choral work. Our process will have a focus on devising as a group – whether that be through movement, text, song, or gesture.
- Dramaturgy of devised work through a practical creation process
- Audience engagement theory and techniques
- Long-term strategies for collaboration and decision-making
- Workshops in marketing and grant writing, specifically tailored to the challenges of new work creation
- The building of a national network of artists who are versed in a common process and interested in future collaborations
- Visual approaches to storytelling
- Non-traditional text generation
- The key principles of healthy creation practices
DATES AND TIMES
June 6 – 25, 2022.
West Village Theatre: 2007 10th Ave SW, Calgary, AB, T3C 0K4.
Early Bird Discount (cutoff is March 1, 2022) $1200.00+GST
Equity Rate $1,200.00+GST
This intensive is limited to a maximum of 16 participants. Spots are given on a first come, first served basis and often fill up quickly. We recommend registering as early as possible.
Billets may be available. Early application is encouraged to enable Ghost River to support participants’ funding applications.
Ghost River Theatre has a new scholarship program that can help defray the costs of participating in our company’s 3-Week National Devised Theatre Intensive. This program, generously sponsored by Sentinel Storage, exists particularly to enable marginalized folks to train with our company, and does not need to be strictly based on financial need. That said, priority will be given to those for whom funds are a significant barrier.
More information, including the application form, can be found on the company website: ghostrivertheatre.com/3weekintensive