Walterdale Theatre Associates is looking for scripts for the 63rd and a half season! To that end we encourage aspiring and experienced directors to submit a show “pitch” for production run dates between February and July 2022.
What kinds of shows are we looking for?
Walterdale must meet the needs of our diverse and engaged membership and audience. The season must collectively entertain, encourage & challenge with relevant and interesting storytelling that will be “need to see”. This might include, but is not limited to:
- Canadian works
- Culturally diverse works that represents the complexity of Alberta’s population
- innovative use of online, digital, and nontraditional theatre practice
- Plays with good roles for both men & women (with a variety of ages)
- A variety of topics and issues that many different people can relate to or learn from including dramas, comedies, thrillers, classics, etc.…
Further – live theatre in post COVID times remains a risky activity to participate in and a creative reimagination of “theatre” is needed. This requires an approach that is nimble and mindful for the health and safety of performers, technicians and audience members alike. We would be looking for works and directorial visions that include:
- small casts and nimble rehearsal processes that allow for uncertainty
- simple or no design requirements and thus small budgets ($3000 or less)
- rehearsals, blocking and performances that are physically distanced and low risk – as per wisest health practices.
Please submit the following materials:
- A copy of the script (If you submit the original script, it will be returned to you
photocopies will not be).
- A copy of your theatre résumé highlighting your directorial experience both
with Walterdale & in other theatrical settings.
- A Directorial Proposal (your concept) – including the following:
- Why would this be a good show for Walterdale to produce?
- Casting requirements (Note: this must not include casting
considerations. All casts for Walterdale productions must be selected
- What Production Team (if any) you would bring with you into the
project. Production team members are not required at the time of
submission and can be recruited at a later date with assistance from
other Walterdale members.
- ANY information that might affect budget (e.g. Chorus size for a
musical or size of ensemble in a straight play, desire for period dress,
rental of special equipment).
- Recent Production history of your proposed play within the Edmonton
area. Please provide information including most recent production(s) in
the Edmonton area noting year of production & the company that
produced the piece.
- How does your approach to this production push the traditional forms,
formats and content to reflect the diversity of approaches to theatre.
- If appropriate, how will you support a safe rehearsal process that
includes sensitive or triggering dramatic content?
Applying directors are permitted to submit a maximum of 2 pieces for consideration for the season. If new to directing, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to find out how to become an Assistant Director or to receive assistance on the application process.
Digital Submissions (preferred) should be sent to:
Artistic Director – email@example.com
If necessary, hard copies with the same requirements can be sent to:
Walterdale Theatre Associates
10322 – 83rd Avenue NW
Edmonton, Alberta T6E 5C3
Deadline for submission is now NOVEMBER 12TH, 2021 @ 11PM