Theatre Outré (Lethbridge) presents:
THE SISSY DUCKLING
A queer musical for all ages, based on the children’s book by Harvey Fierstein. The playwright, Nicola Elson, has adapted the book for the stage and is also the lyricist and director for this project.
‘Elmer, The Sissy Duckling, is a happy, zany fellow that walks to the beat of his own drum. Sometimes he struggles to fit in though. When the other ducklings play baseball, he’d prefer to bake a cake. Or maybe he’d rather put on a puppet show instead of building a fort. He loves to do these things, but it can get a bit lonely when you’re often playing alone. It can be even lonelier if someone calls you a sissy… But Elmer is tough and caring and smart, and he’s about to teach his family, and his entire flock, that being different is A-Okay!’
*Note – This production was largely rehearsed and then postponed due to the pandemic. One of our ensemble members is no longer available and we are looking to re-cast this role.
ROLE TO BE CAST
Looking for a male identifying actor. Successful candidates will be able to showcase their acting and musical skill sets. We are looking for an actor who can be physical, sing and play an array of instruments such as guitar, bass, banjo, ukulele, and percussion. The actor does not need to be able to play all of the above-mentioned instruments and we are certainly open to actors who play other instruments but being skilled in one or more instruments is essential for this role.
Theatre Outré is committed to inclusive hiring practices and encourage all performers to apply. We welcome submissions from all marginalized communities including IBPOC, 2SLGBTQIA+ differently abled, and neuro-divergent artists. If there are any potential barriers (language, disability, or any other considerations) preventing you from applying to audition, please let us know and we will work with you to address them. Theatre Outré is also committed to a healthy working environment for all team members. We will follow COVID-19 guidelines to ensure everyone’s comfort and safety.
- DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS – November 8th, 2021
- AUDITIONS (In person at Club Didi or via Zoom) – Nov 10th & 11th, 2021
- REHEARSALS AND PERFORMANCES – February 9th – March 5th, 2022
- Rehearsals are being held at Club Didi – 517a 4 Ave S #210, Lethbridge, AB T1J 0N3
- Performances are being held at CASA – 230 8 St S, Lethbridge, AB T1J 5H2
HOW TO SUBMIT
Interested actors should submit a recent headshot and resume along with a brief letter outlining your experience and interest in performing queer musical theatre for children to
firstname.lastname@example.org. We will not be collecting hard copies of headshots and resumes at the audition. The audition panel will receive them all electronically.
Only those selected to audition will be contacted. Applicants who obtain an audition slot will be asked to prepare the following:
- One monologue no longer than two minutes in length that showcases a physically dynamic character suitable for a young audience.
- A song performed with a musical instrument that is theatrical. The content of the song does not need to be suitable for young audiences, but the aesthetic should be.
- Sides from The Sissy Duckling will also be provided for the actor to read at the audition.