AUDITIONS for Goodnight Desdemona (Good Morning Juliet)
By Ann-Marie MacDonald
Directed by Colleen Bishop
Presented LIVE, IN-PERSON at the Pumphouse Theatre December Jan 28 – Feb 12, 2022
Book your audition here: morpheustheatre.ca/?page_id=672
Goodnight Desdemona (Good Morning Juliet) is an exuberant comedy and feminist revisioning of Shakespeare’s Othello and Romeo and Juliet. It takes us from a dusty office in Canada’s Queen’s University, into the fraught and furious worlds of two of Shakespeare’s best-known tragedies, and turns them upside-down. Constance Ledbelly is the beleaguered “spinster” academic, and unlikely heroine who embarks on a quest for Shakespearean origins and, ultimately, her own identity. When she deciphers an ancient and neglected manuscript, Constance is propelled through a very modern rabbit hole and lands smack in the middle of the tragic turning points of each play in turn. Goodnight Desdemona (Good Morning Juliet) is a gender-bendy, big-hearted and crazily intelligent romp, where irony and anger sing in perfect harmony with innocence and poignancy.
Open auditions for all roles will take place via Self Tape submitted no later than Wed Oct 20th.
- Auditions will take place via Self-tape video submission
- Callbacks will take place in-person. Face masks are mandatory within the rehearsal space.
- Auditioners are asked to prepare One Shakespearean monologue no longer than 2 minutes
- Auditioners are also asked to complete an online audition form, with an acting resume and headshot.
- Selected auditioners will be requested to attend an in-person callback to read with other performers on Saturday October 23rd between 1 and 5pm, where auditioners will be given sides to read.
Rehearsal and Performance Requirements:
- The read-through and first rehearsal will take place in-person on Monday November 1st (7pm)
- In-person rehearsals will take place at the Monday and Wednesday evenings (7pm to 10pm) and Saturday afternoons (1pm to 5pm).
- Performances will take place indoors – live and in-person – at the Pumphouse Theatre.
Morpheus Theatre encourages individuals of all genders, ethnicities, and abilities to audition. Not a traditional actor? That is okay, get in touch with us and we will find a way for you to showcase what you have to offer.