Starting October 1, arts organizations can apply to the AFA for project funding that supports COVID-19 relaunch and recovery initiatives.
This funding is targeted to help activate Alberta arts organizations. Funding is intended to assist arts organizations with COVID-19 strategies for reopening and/or new models of service delivery.
The Organization Activation Projects program replaces the Organizations: Arts Projects grant, which was placed on hold for review in the AFA’s 2021-22 spending plan.
The program is responsive to feedback AFA received during engagement in April 2021 related to relaunch and recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic. Highlights of the program include:
- Arts organizations can apply for projects that support capacity building, strategic planning, audience development, or one-time partnerships that fall outside of regular or ongoing administrative practices or programming.
- Two or more arts organizations can form a partnership to apply for a larger maximum eligible amount:
- Up to $20,000 for a single applicant organization; or
- Up to $50,000 for partnership applications.
What does this grant support?
Eligible COVID-19 reactivation projects may be in one of the following areas:
- Audience development, retention, and accessibility; may include diversity and inclusion practices.
- Communications strategies; may include marketing.
- Redefining sponsor, donor, and fundraising relationships.
- Revamping online presence; may include restructure or new capabilities, excluding capital purchases.
- Adapting technical capacity, excluding capital purchases.
- Staff and board training on new competencies or post COVID-19 competencies.
- Organizational restructuring.
How to apply
Read the Organization Activation Projects program guidelines.
- Anticipated Frequently Asked Questions about this program are available in Help and Resources.
- After reading the guidelines, questions can be directed to Paul Reich, Arts Development Consultant responsible for this program at [email protected].
- Please note that all our staff are working remotely. Please email any questions. Videoconferencing can be arranged to facilitate discussion.
- The deadline to apply is December 1.
The AFA only accepts applications through the GATE Front Office online application system.
- First-time applicants will require a username and password. Email [email protected] for login information at least five business days prior to the application deadline.
- Download the GATE Front Office user guide.
The deadline to apply is December 1.