Head of Sound
7 Week Full-Time Contract
About Vertigo Theatre
Vertigo Theatre is a premiere cultural institution in Calgary and has entertained audiences for 45 years with high-quality programming. It is the only theatre in North America programming a season based entirely in the mystery genre. Located at the base of the Calgary Tower, the Vertigo complex is home to our administration, ticket offices and two performance venues. Vertigo aims to thrill, entertain, and challenge by creating theatre that ignites the curiosity of our community. We are dedicated to the revitalization of the mystery theatre genre and to inspiring and mentoring the next generation of arts leaders.
About the Position
Vertigo Theatre seeks an individual for the position of Head of Sound for the production of Murder in the Studio, an Agatha Christie mystery classic of 3 short radio plays come to life with intrigue, mystery, and murder.
Reporting to the Technical Director and Production Manager, the Head of Sound is responsible for sourcing all sound equipment and operating live sound during the run of the show.
Vertigo Theatre is looking for a dynamic, collaborative team member with a passion for live foley and the era of the radio play. The candidate will have proven experience in sound mixing, working with designers and directors to achieve the lively personality of the production.
- Coordinating all live sound elements for the production, under the direction of the Sound Designer including utilizing Vertigo’s sound equipment inventory, and renting or purchasing equipment as required
- Programming the Q-Lab file for the show
- Setting up and maintaining all microphones required for the show
- Operating the sound elements for the run of the production
- Attending rehearsals, tech week, and shows
- Attending Production Meetings and Design Meetings, as required
- Managing the Production sound budget, in conjunction with the Production Manager
- Keeping detailed paperwork of all sound equipment
- Working closely with the Head of Props and the Foley Artist to source or create foley objects
- Attend the Strike and return borrowed items
Skills and Requirements
The Ideal candidate with have experience with:
- Live Sound Mixing
- Digital Sound Consoles
- Mics for actors
- Mics for foley
- Live sound effects
- Interpreting technical drawings
- Experience in other production areas of the theatre an asset
- Experience on live theatre productions as a live sound mixer
- Experience with streaming live productions an asset
- Experience with Sound Engineering an asset
- Ability to take direction & work independently
- Able to lift 50lbs or more
- First Aid Certification an asset
- Driver’s License and clean driver’s abstract an asset
- Fully vaccinated against Covid-19 (except in cases of a medical exemption)
40 hours + per week for tech
32 hours per week for show run
Evenings and Weekends are required
November 1 – December 20, 2021 (7 weeks)
$950/week plus 4% vacation pay
Deadline to Submit
Applications will be accepted until a suitable candidate is found. Interviews will start to be scheduled October 12, 2021.
Please send a cover letter with a resume or CV to Jessie Paynter, Production Manager at [email protected]
Please use the subject line “Head of Sound Application”
At Vertigo Theatre we are committed to a respectful work environment and a diverse workforce. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals including visible minorities and people with disabilities.
Thank you to all applicants. Only those selected for interviews will be contacted. No phone calls please. For more information about Vertigo Theatre please visit our website, www.vertigotheatre.com