Handsome Alice Theatre is seeking a new board member to take on the role of Board Chair, for a term of two years, with an option to renew for a second term.
About Handsome Alice
Handsome Alice is devoted to unleashing women and non-binary voices through the development and creation of theatre works that are inclusive, curious, and rebellious. Handsome Alice is a project-based theatre company that supports women and non-binary perspectives through creative narratives that fuse life and art.
The Chair presides over all meetings of the Board and the Annual General Meeting. The Chair works cooperatively with the Artistic Producer and provides leadership to the Board. The Chair also serves as a representative of the theatre to both internal and external constituencies and is an important member of the leadership team. The Chair is responsible for serving as an advisor to the Artistic Producer and facilitating Board meetings.
- Leads the development of a mission and strategic plan for the organization
- Ensures the Board adopts an annual work plan that is consistent with the organization’s strategic directions, mandate, and vision
- Keeps informed about community issues relevant to the mission and objectives of Handsome Alice Theatre
- Ensures the Board of Directors is fulfilling its fiduciary and legal responsibilities
- Chairs General and AGM meetings of the Board
- Maintains effective partnerships and communication with the community, the organization’s members, and its stakeholders
- Acts as one of the signing authorities for cheques, grant applications, reports, casino applications, contract, correspondence etc.
ensures that the senior artistic management team (Artistic Producer) is properly supported and has a strong relationship with the board
- Demonstrated leadership and involvement in the community
- Ability to effectively lead a team in dealing with difficult issues
- Willing and able to commit time to the leadership of the organization
- Ability to communicate, listen and seek others’ input
- Ability to represent the organization in the community
- Service in a leadership position of a board (e.g., committee chairman or Executive Committee member)
- Previous experience on a board of a small non-profit organization
Contact [email protected]