The Citadel Theatre in Edmonton, Alberta is looking for a highly organized team player who thrives in a fast-paced environment to join our Production team as Assistant Technical Director. This is a full-time position starting October 18, 2021.
The Citadel is a very active, not-for-profit theatre producing a season which usually includes a Mainstage series of six plays, a House Series, our seasonal production of A Christmas Carol, a summer musical and, assorted other projects as they arise from season to season. We support a vibrant theatre school and an active new play development program. Our facilities are available for rental by other arts organizations and community groups.
The Citadel complex includes:
- The Shoctor Theatre: a proscenium stage with 686 seats.
- The Maclab Theatre: a thrust stage with 685 seats.
- The Rice Theatre: a 155 seat cabaret-style theatre.
- The Tucker Amphitheatre: an open-air multi functional area which seats 150.
- Zeidler Hall: a 220 seat theatre suitable for films and lectures.
- The Lee Pavilion: a beautiful indoor garden.
The assistant Technical Director assists the Director of Production and Technical Director in ensuring high quality production values for all Citadel productions and rental events and making appropriate, effective and safe use of our facilities and human and financial resources.
Responsibilities (under the direction of/in collaboration with the Director of Production and Technical Director):
- Coordinating activities related to Citadel Theatre productions.
- Participating, as required, in aspects of design, construction and technical servicing of activities.
- Researching, costing and purchasing of materials, equipment, and theatrical techniques when requested.
- Arranging and overseeing technical support for rental events in the Citadel complex, ensuring the effective and efficient operation of facilities and equipment.
- Acting as a representative of the Theatre in meetings with rental clients and ensuring, wit the Guest Services department, excellent customer service.
- Supervising the arrangements for and effective and efficient operation of get-ins, fit-ups, sound checks, installations and strikes for visiting artists, companies and groups.
- Participating, as required, in managing staffing to ensure appropriate technical staff are present to meet the technical and productions needs of artists and groups.
- Ensuring compliance with all relevant legislation, licensing, and safety requirements and IATSE agreement and company policies.
- Tracking and stocking first aid supplies to first aid kits.
- A minimum of three years’ experience within a professional theatre environment.
- Post-secondary theatre training, working knowledge of theatrical lighting, audio, stage carpentry and all related stage craft.
- Certified with First Aid and Fall arrest training.
- Proficiency of Excel, Word, Vectors Works, QLab, and other related entertainment software. Working knowledge of CAD is an asset.
- Strong team leadership and interpersonal skills; able to maintain a calm and professional demeanor under pressure.
- Experience working in a union environment.
- Highly organized, able to multi-task, prioritize work and meet deadlines.
- Must have a flexible schedule as evening and weekend work is sometimes required.
- A positive attitude.
This position pays an annual salary of $50,000.00 per year.
Qualified applicants are encouraged to email a resume and letter of interest by October 4, 2021 to: [email protected]
Accommodations for job applicants with disabilities are available upon request. The Citadel Theatre is committed to having our team reflect the community it serves and actively welcome applicants from diverse and equity seeking backgrounds. The Citadel also endeavors to create and guard a culture of respect and cooperation with all staff, artists, colleagues, volunteers and internal/external parties.
Thank you for your interest, but only those persons chosen for interviews will be contacted. No telephone calls please.