JOB POSTING: GHOST RIVER THEATRE IS SEEKING A TECHNICAL DIRECTOR
Ghost River Theatre is hiring a Technical Director to work on our upcoming lab-based workshop of STRUCK by Eric Rose for January 2022.
As a devised theatre company, Ghost River Theatre believes collaboration is both process and purpose. Devised material can only arise out of a commingling of minds. Accordingly, a plurality of perspectives is integral: the more diverse the ensemble, the richer and more reflective the output. As part of our promise to the 35/50 initiative, Ghost River Theatre is committed to supporting artists that represent the diverse community we serve.
We are seeking someone with a passion for new ideas combined with a self-motivating attitude to help us exercise all creative options. We want to work with people who love live theatre and the performing arts and understand current theatre practices and trends, an energetic attitude, and the ability to be part of creative solutions.
The ideal candidate:
- Has education/experience in technical theatre.
- Proficient understanding of stage lighting methods, programming, materials, and related systems, i.e., conventional, LED, moving lights, accessories, control, dimmers, projection equipment, intranet networking systems, and industry-related software.
- Has proficient abilities interpreting lighting plots, schematics, and drawings.
- Has a driver’s license and access to a car. (Will arrange mileage compensation)
- Is highly motivated and an independent worker.
- Is task orientated.
- Enjoys working collaboratively.
- Is curious.
- Is punctual, reliable, and able to work to meet deadlines.
- Is available to attend all production meetings, rehearsals and presentations as listed below.
This production will be an experimental hybrid of live and live streaming, and preference will be with someone familiar with these types of technical setups. Therefore, an assistant TD is hired for the project and will report to the TD.
Duties will be as follows:
- Be part of the overall planning process for the workshop production.
- Ensure a safe and effective working environment.
- Assisting as needed during rehearsals and workshops
- Take rigorous technical notes during rehearsals and workshops to ensure fulsome information for the presentation phase of the production.
- Producing cost estimates for all aspects of the production’s technical equipment.
- Ensuring budgets are followed and adhered to
- Coordinating lighting, sound, special effects and multimedia requirements, and establishing procedures for theatre installation, operation, showcases and strike
- Facilitating and overseeing the set build, Costumes, and Props.
- Creating the first version of the tech rider.
- Contribute to collaborative conversations
- Working with Ghost River Theatre’s Artistic Director, designers, stage management, assistant technical director, and other staff, as well as the show’s production team and cast
- Be available for all workshop showcases.
Employment will be eight weeks, and we are seeking to start December 6th, 2021 and finish February 4th, 2022. The position contracted for a total of $8,000.00.
Rehearsals will begin January 4th, 2022, Mon-Friday, 9 am-4 pm daily. As we work collaboratively, the expectation is to work in the theatre alongside the entire creative team unless outside errands and equipment are needed. There is a possibility of an added Saturday; however, we offer proper notice and mutual consent. Presentation dates will be January 26, 27, 28, and 29th in the evenings.
Ghost River Theatre encourages diverse applicants regardless of national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity or expression. Ghost River Theatre is committed to the health and safety of its employees and will take all necessary measures during the COVID-19 pandemic.
To apply, please compose an expression of interest explaining why working with Ghost River Theatre is of interest and how you would benefit the team. The expression of interest can be in a medium of the applicant’s choice (including a written letter, video, audio file, etc.). Candidates are welcome to provide a resume if they choose.
Email your expression of interest to Ghost River Theatre’s Producer, Andrew G. Cooper, at firstname.lastname@example.org. If email is not available, please call 403-242-7118 x2, and we would be happy to make available alternative options.
The Application Process:
We will be accepting applications until October 12th, 2021. After that, we will reply to all candidates to notify them if they will be moving on to an interview.
Successful candidates invited to interview will be provided with all questions in advance and be compensated $50 for their time in the interview and preparing for it.
Interviews will occur in person (if health and safety rules comply) at the West Village Theatre, located at 2007 10 Ave SW Calgary, during the daytime, October 18th – 20th, 2021. If health mandates prohibit this, interviews will be conducted online over Zoom.
Ghost River Theatre only works with staff, volunteers, contractors, performers, designers, and audiences verified as being double vaccinated. Therefore, please be ready to show proof of vaccination when requested. Ghost River Theatre will not record or save any vaccine records.