StoryBook Theatre is currently seeking Directors/Acting Coaches, Music Directors/Vocal Coaches, and Choreographers/Dance Coaches for our Fall and Winter Theatre School programs. We are looking for experienced professionals to guide students ages 10-17 in musical theatre programming.
StoryBook believes that inclusivity and diversity are integral to the stories we tell both on and off our stage and seek to create an environment where everyone, from any background, can do their best work. We encourage people of all ages, gender identity, race, sexual orientation, physical or mental ability, and ethnicity to apply for this position.
This position is being made possible through a Canada Summer Jobs Grant and therefore we are seeking applicants aged 18 to 30 for this role. We are not limited by this, but stronger consideration will be made for those candidates that meet this age criteria for this grant.
Instructors will be accountable to the Theatre School Coordinator and will work closely with teaching assistants and other production team members. Duties include:
- Teach students appropriate lesson content for their age and skill level
- Create and submit lesson plans incorporating a given curriculum
- Duties associated with specific positions may include:
Director/Acting Coach: Directing blocking, teaching acting skills and character development
Music Director/Vocal Coach: Teaching music, conducting ensembles, coaching students
Choreographer/Dance Coach: Guiding physical warmups, choreographing musical numbers
- Other duties as required
The ideal candidates would possess many, if not all, of the qualifications listed below. StoryBook is a learning environment and is looking for a candidate willing to grow into the role with a base understanding of its demands and skills required.
- Minimum of two years of relevant university level education, or equivalent professional experience
- Strong instructional and classroom management skills
- High level of personal organization and planning
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Must work well in a team setting
- Basic First Aid is an asset
- Must be willing to submit to a criminal background check
Ultimately StoryBook is seeking a person who fits in with the organizational mandate and is keen and passionate about the work we do. A candidate who possesses the following attributes would be seen as a huge asset beyond their list of qualifications.
YOU ARE AN INDIVIDUAL WHO
- Loves live performance and has an appreciation of the importance of theatre in society/for families
- Reflects an optimistic and positive attitude with organizational loyalty
- Has the ability to work autonomously and in a team with attention to discretion and sensitivity to work involving confidential information.
- Has a self-motivational work style that can be resilient under the changing conditions of COVID
- Has a genuine commitment to contribute to an internal culture that values people and provides an opportunity for everyone to flourish.
- Has the personal stature to inspire the organization, the Board, and the stakeholders by representing the Theatre with integrity.
- Is dedicated to the principles of equal opportunity, cultural diversity, and broadening access to the arts.
- Is a pragmatic and effective problem-solver.
This is a seasonal contract position. Exact term to be determined.
Our teachers are contracted for each session and program individually at an hourly rate of $22/hr.
Submission Deadline – Sunday, September 12, 2021
Visit www.storybooktheatre.org/job-postings for more information and application.
Questions relating to this job posting may be directed to [email protected]
StoryBook Theatre (SBT) is Canada’s largest volunteer-driven Theatres for Young Audiences and families. In our almost 45 years of serving Calgary, we have fostered the love and passion for theatre arts in over one million people. Each season we bring together some of the industry’s brightest emerging talents both on and off the stage to create incredibly accessible theatre for the whole family. We bring stories to life in a way that encourages children and their families to dream about who they are and may become, to explore the story from different perspectives, to think using inductive reasoning, and to connect to other people and ideas. StoryBook’s mission celebrates the power of theatre to inspire children and their families to dream, explore, think, and connect through high-caliber accessible, and diverse family theatre programming.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those advancing in the process will be contacted.