One Yellow Rabbit is seeking an enthusiastic and experienced team player to fill the contract position of Festival Production Manager for their 36th Annual High Performance Rodeo, Calgary’s International Festival of the Arts.
A key member of the High Performance Rodeo team, and reporting to the Producer, the Festival Production Manager oversees the festival’s Production and Venue operations; to provide exceptional customer experience. With responsibilities before, during and after the festival, the Festival Production Manager leads a team of approximately 4 staff, including a Festival Technical Director during the Festival.
Contract Fee: $19,500 (approximate, and will be based on the actual start date if different from below)
Part time (0.5 FTE) starting ideally Sept. 13, 2021.
Full time (1.0 FTE) starting October 4, 2021.
Contract ends February 18, 2022.
NOTE: This position will be filled when an appropriate candidate is found, and the start date is flexible.
Anticipated Hours: This contract position is based on a Full Time Equivalency (FTE) of 44 hours per week with some extended hours required during the festival dates in 2022. It is an expectation of all applicants that they be available for full-time festival hours, including evenings and weekends.
The Festival Production Manager contributes to the successful operations of One Yellow Rabbit’s 36th Annual High Performance Rodeo in 2022. They are responsible for the planning, coordination, and execution of all technical and production requirements, and work closely with the Producer to oversee all venues, productions, and events in the festival. A member of the festival leadership team, the Festival Production Manager will balance pre-Festival office hours with remote work and attending team meetings. They will be readily available to respond to questions and concerns as the main point of contact for artists, venues, and festival staff for all production and technical needs.
- As HPRodeo 2022 programming is identified, review and make recommendations regarding technical riders, including costing for budgets and contract negotiations.
- Contribute to the selection of HPRodeo 2022 performance venues: assess suitability, capacity, rental costs, liaise with venue contacts.
- Coordinate, with the Producer, full costing requirements for all productions within the Festival.
- Coordinate, with the Producer, the HPRodeo performance schedule.
- Be familiar with all performances in the Festival: watch archival videos, read materials, etc.
- Work closely with artists regarding all production needs and venues, compile and disseminate technical information, negotiate production requirements.
- Ensure timely delivery of all technical riders and information as lead contact for artists.
- Create schedule for artists travel, residency and accommodations in concert with production schedule and other team members.
- Design complete and detailed production and operations schedules for distribution with festival team.
- Take the lead on special events or off-site venue requirements, including the Laycraft Lounge, as needed.
- Develop technical requirement schedules for all projects, with set, staging and LX/Audio plans, to be used for productions.
- Hire and supervise production and technical staff.
- Coordination of local transport for all gear and technical equipment from the Airport to the Venue.
- Work with the Producer and Patron Services Manager to ensure all seating capacity requirements for each venue are met.
- Management of equipment – sourcing, rental and return.
- Coordination of touring artists’ freight shipments.
- Liaise between the company’s main administration office, production personnel and performance venues.
- Attend weekly HPRodeo Production meetings
- Establish and follow timelines in conjunction with OYR production team
Administration and Archiving
- Produce well-organized records for archival purposes.
- Communicate progress, completion and concerns arising from all tasks that are event-related.
- Take part in an evaluation process after each project’s completion.
- Management of production budget for all festival events and venues.
- Track and report production invoices.
- Oversight of production purchasing and submission of all accounting in a timely fashion.
We are seeking a candidate who has:
- Experience as a supervisor and/or hiring manager leading a team of staff and volunteers.
- A strong background in production management or technical supervision in small, medium and large venues presenting a variety of work including theatre, live music, dance, and multi-disciplinary work.
- A proven track record of excellent client services for artists, designers, technical staff and other stakeholders in a festival or season environment.
- Excellent attention to detail and advanced skills in administration, communication and conflict resolution.
- Experience in both union and non-union staffing environments.
- Motivating and enthusiastic leadership qualities.
The High Performance Rodeo is committed to employment equity and diversity, and encourage applications from all interested individuals. We invite, but do not require members of equity-seeking groups to self-identify. We can provide training in certain aspects of the position, and want to support the right candidate to be successful in this contract role.
It is an expectation of employment with One Yellow Rabbit that all employees are fully vaccinated for Covid-19 and can show proof of vaccination.
Please email the following to firstname.lastname@example.org by Wednesday Sept. 8th or Sept. 10th extension at 5pm with the subject heading PRODUCTION MANAGER HPR2022:
• A cover letter detailing your interest in the position addressed to Oliver Armstrong, Producer
• A resume that highlights your relevant experience
• 2 references with current contact information
We thank everyone who applies for their interest, but only those candidates offered an interview will be contacted.
About the High Performance Rodeo:
For three wild weeks in January, One Yellow Rabbit’s High Performance Rodeo, Calgary’s International Festival of the Arts, is where the action is. It’s a chance to watch touring performances from across Canada, acclaimed international shows, and new and experimental work from artists here in Calgary. The programming is bold, cutting-edge, funny, frank, and full of heart. There’s theatre, dance, music, film, free lunchtime concerts, late-night cabarets, and so much more. Shows in the basement of the Calgary Tower, at the Royal Canadian Legion, in the +15’s, a wrestling ring, an elevator, in City Hall, Eau Claire Market, the Glenbow, Central Library, Big Secret Theatre, Lunchbox, DJD, and the Jack Singer Concert Hall.
The High Performance Rodeo takes over downtown Calgary in all shapes, sizes, and sounds – defying description and tantalizing the tastes of arts and culture lovers. Audiences brave the January cold or revel in the chinook heat-wave, comb over the festival guide, and come out to play. The High Performance Rodeo is about championing creativity, building community, celebrating diverse voices, and promoting self-expression in all forms. For 33 years, the festival has been a launching pad for local artists and a spotlight onto the world’s stage. It’s a unique experience that only happens here. HPRdeo.ca / @HPRodeo