Alberta Theatre Projects is preparing for our 2021-22 Season of producing live, professional, contemporary theatre in Calgary.
At Alberta Theatre Projects, we create world-class contemporary theatre that blurs the line between the audience and the artist, by telling the most provocative and engaging stories of our time. By embracing the intimacy and unique audience configuration opportunities of the Martha Cohen Theatre, we offer an exciting new experience for our audience with each production.
ABOUT THE POSITION
Alberta Theatre Projects is looking for a team-oriented individual to fill the permanent season role of Head Stage Carpenter. This is a seasonal full-time position.
Working conditions, wages, and benefits for this role are in accordance with the Collective Agreement between IATSE Local 212 and Alberta Theatre Projects.
- Serve as running crew for productions and rental events
- Oversee the set-up and operation of all scenic elements and rigging for productions, rentals, or other events in the Martha Cohen Theatre, or other venues leased or owned by Alberta Theatre Projects as required
- Supervise casual stage crews while work is being performed in the Martha Cohen Theatre
- Inspect and maintain all stage areas, staging equipment and tools
- Work with the Technical Director and Production Manager in matters of equipment, scheduling, staffing requirements and show preparation
- Work with Stage Manager for rehearsals and performances
- To read all scripts prior to the first day of rehearsal and attend rehearsals as scheduled
- Assist shop carpenters in planning and construction of scenic elements for ATP as required
- Attend production meetings, staff meetings, technical rehearsals, and notes sessions as necessary
- Track rigging inventory and record keeping in regard to storage, use, safety, and maintenance
- Serve as the Fire Warden governing the Martha Cohen Stage
- 3+ years professional work experience in a theatrical work environment, and preference will be given to those with management experience
- A passion for performing arts and the creation of new work
- Broad working knowledge of theatrical rigging, and safety guidelines for a fly house
- Good organizational and communication skills
- Ability and enthusiasm for working in a collaborative, adaptive team environment
- Experience with theatrical scenic construction including a wide range of materials is an asset
- Ability to interpret set design drawings
- Experience with Vectorworks and all associated programs would be an asset
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Team player with a good general knowledge of all aspects of theatre and live performance
This position requires a flexible work schedule due to operational needs of Alberta Theatre Projects and events taking place in the Martha Cohen Theatre, including frequent evening, weekend, and holiday work.
Please email a letter of interest and resume in confidence to Kyle Russell at [email protected] by September 22, 2021.
Alberta Theatre Projects is committed to reflecting the diversity of our community. We believe in quality and inclusion and strongly encourage submissions from all qualified individuals regardless of gender, age, race, sexual orientation, and physical ability. We also encourage you to self-identify as you are comfortable in your application. If you require any accommodations during the recruitment process, please let us know in the application process.
Thank you to all applicants. Only those selected for interviews will be contacted. No phone calls, please. For more information about Alberta Theatre Projects please visit our website www.albertatheatreprojects.com