Jason Kenney’s HOT BOY SUMMER
A One Act Musical
Book and Lyrics by Byron Martin
Music by Simon Abbott
Directed by Byron Martin
Submission deadline: September 9th, 2021
Rehearsals: September 28th through October 19th – Times TBD
Performances: October 20th through 30th
ABOUT THE MUSICAL
Jason Kenney’s Hot Boy Summer is a new musical being developed for the 2021/22 Grindstone season. Fratboy Jason Kenney must save his frat Upsilon Cappa Pi and their year-end party from the arch-villain Rachel Notley and Dean Trudeau who want to shut down all partying on campus.
ABOUT GRINDSTONE THEATRE
Grindstone is an improv-based theatre company. Grindstone wrote and produced the disturbingly popular Thundercats: The Musical for the 2019 Fringe. Other mainstage productions include the award-winning improvised musical The 11 O’clock Number, Urinetown The Musical, The Adventures of Chucky and Reggie, Blackout Sketch Comedy, Here Lies Henry, The Complete Works of Shakespeare Abridged, HONK! The Ugly Duckling Musical, and Shakespeare’s Henry V.
- Work with the Director to execute the vision for the show
- Examine script in detail in order to understand costume requirements
- Execute expenditures and keep budget in check
- Submit all wardrobe related receipts to producer
- Plan and supervise costume fittings and dress rehearsals
- Make arrangements to clean, return, store, and/or dispose of used costumes after production run
- Collaborate with the Director on establishing a set design
- Create drawings to communicate the final “look” of the set, as required
- Present design concept at rehearsal in collaboration with the Director
- Create a set of accurate drawings for the set builders
- Recruit and coordinate set builders and painters with the assistance of the Volunteer Coordinator
- Coordinate props and furnishings
- Attend production meetings, as required
- Attend rehearsals, as required
- Supervise and assist with load-in and set-up
- Attend technical rehearsals and dress rehearsal, as required
- Supervise and assist with striking the set following the run
- Work within a budget
The Costume Designer & Set/Props Designer will work together as a design team to execute the project. Both Designers will assist in the construction of the set and costumes to bring to life the vision of Jason Kenney’s Hot Boy Summer.
- Previous working experience as Costume Designer or Sets/Props Designer
- Ability to work creatively within restrictive budgets
- Good time-management skills
- Ability to task manage efficiently
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Critical-thinker and problem-solver
To submit your interest, please email Jocelyn at email@example.com with your resume and portfolio. Please write “Kenney Costume Designer” or “Kenney Set/Props Designer” in the subject line. In an effort to reduce paper consumption, we accept online submissions only. The Deadline to submit your application is Thursday, September 9, 2021.
This position is funded in part through the Canada Summer Jobs Program. Applicants must be between the ages of 18-30 and legally eligible to work in Canada.