Job Title: Studio Technical Director
Application Deadline: September 3, 2021
Start Date: September 20, 2021
Term: 8 weeks
Compensation: $21/hour, 35 hours per week
The Thousand Faces Festival is seeking a Studio Technical Director to implement the digital video components of our 2021 festival, from mid-September through the beginning of November, 2021. For the past 10 years, The Thousand Faces Festival has celebrated the myths and stories at the roots of Edmonton’s many cultures through theatre, music, dance, and other artistic disciplines. We are committed to ensuring that our staff, crew, and artistic teams also reflect the diversity we see on our stages. We strongly encourage submissions from people of all backgrounds and look forward to continuing our tradition of discovering what connects us all through art.
This position is funded in part through the Canada Summer Jobs Program. Applicants must be between the ages of 15-30 and legally eligible to work in Canada.
Please note that our live streaming studio rehearsal and performance space is not easily accessible by Edmonton transit. The nearest bus stop is over a 10 minute walk away without sidewalks. Access to a vehicle is strongly recommended.
Studio Technical Director Job Description:
The Studio Technical Director will work with the Festival’s Production Manager and technicians to implement and potentially operate studio technical elements of the 2021 Thousand Faces Festival. Responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- Supervisor and mentor Festival technical staff
- Act as day to day supervisor of the Festival’s streaming studio venue
- Manage and supervise the use of all Festival technical equipment and capabilities
- Keep an up to date list of all Festival technical equipment and capabilities
- Build and operate technical aspects of the Festival as needed
- Creatively troubleshoot technical issues as they arise in a flexible and enthusiastic manner
- Source the rental or purchase of materials and/or tech equipment for the Festival in conjunction with the Festival’s Production Manager
- Act as an effective liaison between the artists, designers, crew, and Festival management
- Attend production meetings as scheduled
- Provide insight and recommendations to implement artistic requirements using the Festival’s technical capabilities
- Enforce and stay up to date on current health and safety concerns/policies, including those related to COVID-19
Studio Technical Director Qualifications:
We are looking for self-motivated individuals that have a keen interest and enthusiasm for celebrating stories at the roots of Edmonton’s many cultures through theatre, music, dance, and other arts. Formal post-secondary education in the field or at least 2 years of experience working in a professional production environment are required. Candidates must have an advanced understanding of and competence with lighting, sound, and especially video/broadcast technology. Experience and aptitude with prop, set, and/or costume construction is an asset. Previous supervision or mentoring experience is also an asset. Confidence and ability to direct workers in the safe use of manually handled equipment and ladders is a must. Candidates who are able to demonstrate their ability to use technical capabilities to achieve artistic vision will rank higher.
Please send a brief cover letter and your resume to email@example.com with the subject line Studio Technical Director Application. The Deadline to submit your application is Friday, September 3, 2021.