Administrative Assistant – Full-time
About Vertigo Theatre
Vertigo Theatre is a premiere cultural institution in Calgary and has entertained audiences for 45 years with high-quality programming. It is the only theatre in North America programming a season based entirely in the mystery genre. Located at the base of the Calgary Tower, the Vertigo complex is home to our administration, ticket offices, and two performance venues. Vertigo aims to thrill, entertain, and challenge by creating theatre that ignites the curiosity of our community. We are dedicated to the revitalization of the mystery theatre genre and to inspiring and mentoring the next generation of arts leaders.
The Ideal Candidate
Vertigo Theatre is seeing a highly personable person with impeccable attention to detail to join our team. The Administrative Assistant position is an integral member of the administrative team who is able to undertake a variety of tasks and works well under pressure. Directly supporting the Company Manager and the Executive Director, this individual is comfortable working with a high degree of activity, a fast-paced office environment, and the need to assist multiple departments throughout the year. This is an excellent opportunity for an individual with an interest in the arts or non-profit sector.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Working at an open concept reception desk in the main office assisting all visitors and coordinating incoming and outgoing mail and shipping.
- Issue tax receipts, thank you letters, and carry out donor correspondence as required
- Accurate and timely input of donor data and records into Theatre Manager database
- Assist in maintaining administrative files, databases, and calendars
- Ensure that all business, liquor, and food licenses are renewed with the appropriate authorities prior to their annual deadlines
- Coordination of the Executive Director and admin team schedules
- Primary Board of Directors Liaison responsible for coordinating meetings, correspondence, and annual filings
- Order supplies and coordinate deliveries as needed
- Arrange couriers for rapid delivery of paperwork or packages
- Oversee the computer network, coordinating repairs and upgrades with the IT consultant
- Assist in preparation for special events including Opening Nights under the direction of the Director of Marketing, the Development Coordinator, or the Company Manager
- Ensure smooth operation of the office by collecting and sorting mail, answering the main phone line, removing recycling to the main building’s receptacle
- Assisting the Box office with occasional ticket sales, raffle coordination, and other activities as required
- Other responsibilities as determined in agreement with the Company Manager or the Executive Director
- Serve as the Fire warden on the administrative level, and serve on the Health and Safety Committee
- Oversight and upkeep of the company break rooms including the administrative office kitchen, 2 bar serveries, and both greenrooms
- Filing and ongoing assistance to the accounting department and the Executive Director on a weekly basis
Vertigo Theatre encourages a team-oriented environment. All personnel are required to participate in a wide range of activities or take on additional responsibilities from time to time that may be outside of the Core Responsibilities & Duties for each position.
Required Skills and Qualifications
- Exceptional attention to detail and an ability to multitask
- Superior written and interpersonal communication skills
- Professional, calm, and engaging nature with a strong aptitude for providing high level customer service
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative, work independently, and collaborate as a team member in a fast-paced environment
- Previous experience with Microsoft Office, specifically Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel
- Previous experience in database management, especially with Theatre Manager, would be an asset
- Previous experience with the Google Drive system would be an asset
- Keen interest in arts and culture
- Class 5 drivers license with no major infractions
- Legally entitled to work in Canada
- Fully vaccinated against Covid-19 (except in cases of a medical exemption)
40 hours per week, Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm, with some evenings and weekends required.
- $17 – $19/hour based on qualifications and experience. A time off in lieu of overtime agreement will be required as governed by Alberta Health Services.
- Extended Health and Dental plan after 3 months with cost shared 50/50 between employee and employer.
- 3 weeks of vacation time annually and other holidays as determined by management
Please note parking expenses are the employee’s responsibility and no designated parking is available onsite.
As soon as possible.
Deadline to submit: Applications will be accepted until a suitable candidate is found.
At Vertigo Theatre we are committed to a respectful work environment and a diverse workforce. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals including visible minorities and people with disabilities.
Please send a cover letter, resume or CV as well as three references to Laura Couch, Company Manager at [email protected]. Please use the subject line “Administrative Assistant Application”. Interviews will commence immediately. Thank you to all applicants. Only those selected for interviews will be contacted. No phone calls please. For more information about Vertigo Theatre please visit our website, www.vertigotheatre.com.