Job Title: Design Assistant
Application Deadline: September 3, 2021
Start Date: September 20, 2021
Term: 7 weeks
Compensation: $19/hour, 35 hours per week
The Thousand Faces Festival is seeking a Design Assistant to assist with the lighting and venue design for our 2021 hybrid virtual and in-person festival, running from early October through the beginning of November, 2021. For the past 13 years, The Thousand Faces Festival has celebrated the myths and stories at the roots of Edmonton’s many cultures through theatre, music, dance, and other artistic disciplines. We are committed to ensuring that our staff, crew, and artistic teams also reflect the diversity we see on our stages. We strongly encourage submissions from people of all backgrounds and look forward to continuing our tradition of discovering what connects us all through art.
This position is funded in part through the Canada Summer Jobs Program. Applicants must be between the ages of 15-30 and legally eligible to work in Canada.
Please note that due to the return to in-person events for the Festival, the successful applicant will be required to work from a combination of festival sites. Access to a vehicle is strongly encouraged.
Design Assistant Job Description:
The Design Assistant will work in collaboration with the Festival’s Resident Designer, Production Manager, artists, and production staff to implement design elements of the 2021 Thousand Faces Festival. Responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- producing artistic concepts and vision upon reading the script or artistic proposals, and seeing early rehearsals and first read through, and discussions with the Artistic Director and the Resident Designer
- determining the layout and lighting design for the in-person A String of Mythic Pearls event in conjunction with Festival management
- preparing elementary estimates of design costs and communicating with the Production Manager, Resident Designer, and builders for more accurate cost estimates
- attending rehearsals and Tech Week when invited or after discussing with the Stage Manager, Director, or Production Manager
- producing drawings and models for the production team in collaboration with the Resident Designer and ensure the Production Manager has these items before tech week and/or building weeks
- assisting designers with the creation of production elements including sets, costumes, props, and puppets as needed
Design Assistant Qualifications:
We are looking for a self-motivated individual that has a keen interest and enthusiasm for celebrating stories at the roots of Edmonton’s many cultures through theatre, music, dance, and other arts. Previous experience with lighting and set/venue design are a must. Experience and aptitude with prop, set, and/or costume construction is an asset. The successful candidate will be expected to draft floor plans and lighting plots and should have a working knowledge of how to do so.
Please send a brief cover letter, your resume, and access to samples of your work to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line Design Assistant Application. The Deadline to submit your application is Friday, September 3, 2021.