Jason Kenney’s HOT BOY SUMMER
A One Act Musical
Book and Lyrics by Byron Martin
Music by Simon Abbott
Directed by Byron Martin
Auditions: September 1st, 2nd, 3rd
Submission deadline: August 31st
Rehearsals: September 28th through October 19th – Times TBD
Performances: October 20th through 30th
ABOUT THE MUSICAL
Jason Kenney’s Hot Boy Summer is a new musical being developed for the 2021/22 Grindstone season. Fratboy Jason Kenney must save his frat Upsilon Kappa Pi and their year-end party from the arch-villain Rachel Notley and Dean Trudeau who want to shut down all partying on campus.
ABOUT GRINDSTONE THEATRE
Grindstone is an improv-based theatre company. Grindstone wrote and produced the disturbingly popular Thundercats: The Musical for the 2019 Fringe. Other mainstage productions include the award-winning improvised musical The 11 O’clock Number, Urinetown The Musical, The Adventures of Chucky and Reggie, Blackout Sketch Comedy, Here Lies Henry, The Complete Works of Shakespeare Abridged, HONK! The Ugly Duckling Musical, and Shakespeare’s Henry V.
To submit your interest, email resume and headshot to Byron at [email protected]
Please write “Kenney Audition” in the subject line and indicate the role of interest in the body of the email. In an effort to reduce paper consumption, we accept online submissions only.
We are not accepting video submissions at this time. Only submit your interest if you are able to attend the audition dates listed above. Only actors selected for an audition will be contacted and given an appointment.
Auditions will consist of a comedic monologue, a musical theatre or comedic song, and may have a movement/dance component.
1. Kenney — Head of the party frat Upsilon Cappa Pi. Tenor/High Baritone.
2. Dean Trudeau — Curmudgeonly Dean of the College. Baritone.
3. Rachel — Head of the rival sorority Nu Delta Pi. Strong voice is needed with a good higher register.
4. Deena — Standard nerd that gets caught between Rachel’s schemes and Kenney’s attempts to save his frat’s year-end party.
5. Justin — Rachel’s good-looking but aloof boyfriend, and son of the dean.
6. Kaycee (Madu) — Nigerian-Canadian member of the Upsilon Kappa frat.
7. Tyler (Shandro) — Upsilon Cappa party boy.
8. Tracy (Alard) — Upsilon Cappa party girl.
NOTE: All roles will include dancing and group movement. Improv and Sketch performers are encouraged to apply.
Grindstone Theatre is committed to inclusive casting. We encourage submissions from professional artists who self-identify as members of under-represented communities.