ASSISTANT Technical director
About Vertigo Theatre
Vertigo Theatre is a premiere cultural institution in Calgary and has entertained audiences for 45 years with high quality programming. It is the only theatre in North America programming a season based entirely in the mystery genre. Located at the base of the Calgary Tower, the Vertigo complex is home to our administration, ticket offices and two performance venues. Vertigo aims to thrill, entertain, and challenge by creating theatre that ignites the curiosity of our community. We are dedicated to the revitalization of the mystery theatre genre and to inspiring and mentoring the next generation of arts leaders.
About the Position
Vertigo Theatre seeks an individual for the position of Assistant Technical Director who is invested in working as a part of the core production team, helping to mentor junior team members as well as expand their own skillset working on professional productions. Reporting to the Technical Director and the Production and Facility Manager, the Assistant Technical Director will be involved in all technical areas in producing a professional production.
The successful candidate will be a highly-motivated individual who has skills in theatrical productionand has a keen interest in developing their skills in the technical aspects of producing theatre,technical administration, and management. Familiarity with Vectorworks and with theatrical lighting or sound systems would be an asset.
The Assistant Technical Director is a core member of the Vertigo production department and, as such,will uphold and promote Vertigo’s values of Excellence, Mentorship, Collaboration, Advocacy,Accessibility and Accountability.
- Assisting the Technical Director with all aspects of productions including costing, constructiondrawings, special effects, lighting, sound and projection
- Assisting with the build of any special effects and electrical devices including but not limited to blood, gunshots, onstage appearances/dissapearances, rigging, atmospheric effects, flame and pyrotechnics
- Working on productions during tech week
- Completing show notes during the run of productions, as required
- Assisting the Production and Facilities Manager with the facilities upkeep including maintaining the facilities calendar, doing maintenance as required, and ensuring that facilities systems are up to date.
- Booking and supervising casual crews as required
- Ensuring the safety of the workplace by helping to establish and enforcing all health, security and safety policies and procedures
Skills and Requirements
- Knowledge of all elements of theatre production
- Technical skills in lighting, sound, projections and special effects
- Carpentry skills
- Experience leading and supervising a crew
- Experience working with Designers and Directors
- Excellent communication skills, both verbally and in writing
- Strong Microsoft Excel Skills
- Strong Research Skills
- Ability to maintain a high quality of workmanship, achieving the attention to detail that the Theatre requires
- Ability to draft in Vectorworks an asset
- Ability to program and use Q-Lab, Isadora, and ETC lighting consoles an asset
- Live sound mixing and knowledge of digital sound boards an asset
- Degree in Technical Theatre with two years experience working in professional theatre OR equivalent combination of training and experience
- Comfortable working at heights
- Familiar and comfortable using power tools
- Able to lift 50 lbs
- Ability to take direction and work independently
- Valid Class 5 Driver’s License and Clean Driver’s Abstract
- Certifications are an asset, including:
- Standard First Aid
- Possession and Acquisition License
- Fall Arrest Certification
- Pyrotechnics License
Vertigo Theatre encourages a team-oriented environment. All personnel are required to participate in a wide range of activities or take on additional responsibilities from time to time thatmay be outside of the core responsibilities & duties for each position.
40 hours per week, Monday to Friday, with some evenings and weekends required
September 7, 2021 – July 1 2022 (43 Weeks)
- $800 – $1000 per week based on experience, paid semi-monthly
- 4% vacation paid out on each cheque
- Extended Health and Dental plan after 3 months with cost shared 50/50 between employee and employer.
As this is a management position, overtime is not applicable. Vertigo Theatre encourages Managers to organize their schedules as required to balance out heavier work periods vs. lighter in order to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
**Please note parking expenses are the employee’s responsibility and no designated parking is available onsite.
Deadline to submit:
Applications will be accepted until September 7. Interviews will start the week of August 23, 2021.
Please send a cover letter, resume or CV and 3 references to Jessie Paynter, Production & Facility Manager at Jessie.Paynter@vertigotheatre.com
Please use the subject line Assistant Technical Director Application
At Vertigo Theatre we are committed to a respectful work environment and a diverse workforce. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals including visible minorities and people with disabilities.
Thank you to all applicants. Only those selected for interviews will be contacted. No phone calls please. For more information about Vertigo Theatre please visit our website, www.vertigotheatre.com