The Citadel Theatre in Edmonton, Alberta is looking for a highly organized team player who thrives in a fast-paced environment to join our Production team as Assistant Head of Electrics. This is a seasonal position starting Oct. 5, 2021. End and restart date is dependant on our season and will be discussed in interview.
The Citadel is a very active, not-for-profit theatre producing a season which usually includes a Mainstage series of six plays, our seasonal production of A Christmas Carol, a summer musical and, assorted other projects as they arise from season to season. We support a vibrant theatre school and an active new play development program. Our facilities are available for rental by other arts organizations and community groups.
The Citadel complex includes:
• The Shoctor Theatre: a proscenuim stage with 686 seats.
• The Maclab Theatre: a thrust stage with 685 seats.
• The Rice Theatre: a 155 seat cabaret-style theatre.
• Zeidler Hall: a 220 seat theatre suitable for films and lectures.
• The Lee Pavilion: a beautiful indoor garden.
The Assistant Head of Electrics reports to the Head of Electrics, Director of Production and Technical Director ensuring high quality production values for all Citadel productions and rental events relating to and assisting the Electrics team. They are responsible for assisting in the safe and effective operation of the electrical department; the organization, installation, operation and maintenance of all electrics and theatrical lighting equipment stage lighting and special effect elements within the Citadel, related to the Citadel’s presentation of production in all our spaces and on tours as well other events, while making appropriate, effective and safe use of our facilities, human and financial resources. The Assistant Head of Electrics must be ready to take a proactive leadership role in creating a respectful and positive workplace where all of our stakeholders are excited, connected and invested in the work of the theatre.
- Ensure the organization and maintenance of all electrical equipment and facilities and ensure these spaces are operated and maintained in a safe, organized manner.
- Ensure the inspection of electrics equipment brought in for use and prohibit the use of any equipment deemed to be potentially hazardous and inform the DP and TD.
- Assist to create and maintain accessible paperwork and archive of all plans of electrics designs/elements for each production.
- Assist in the development or estimates, costings, budgets and schedules in writing and be responsible and accountable for expenditures in budget accounted as assigned by the DP and TD, and the confidentiality of personnel and financial information, in conjunction with other related Departments.
- Cooperate with Head of Electrics and related Departments on the set-up and running of all shows.
- Assist the Head of Electrics to follow lighting design and perform drafting functions when required; prep lighting plot and order equipment as required. Cooperate fully with the designer(s) in the realization of their designs, but such cooperation shall not supersede the directions of the DP or TD.
- Advise Head of Electrics, DP and TD of any service required of electric equipment.
- Assist in research and recommend acquisition or improvement of lighting and electrical equipment.
- In consultation with Head of Electrics, the DP and TD determine methods, materials and any special training to be used or needed.
- Assist to oversee the storage or all electrical equipment, maintaining the efficient organization and cleanliness of the electrics department, its office and related areas.
- Assist to create and maintain an accessible archive of all plans of electrical elements for each production.
- Maintain updated lists of stock inventory.
- Program and operate computerized lighting controls and special effects; run shows as assigned.
- Effectively manage assigned crews with Head of Electrics.Build and maintain positive personnel relationships and navigate conflict resolution.
- Assist the supervision of all activates related to set-ups, operation and strikes of stage lighting, electrical distribution, special effects and customized components and shall be responsible for the operation of all the lighting controls systems in the Citadel.
- Ensuring compliance with all relevant legislation, licensing, certificates, safety requirements, IATSE agreement and company policies.
- Attend meetings and rehearsals as required.
- Collaborate and work with other Departments on all cross-over projects; and in the loading and unloading of equipment and production elements related to your department.
- Report anticipated problems immediately to Management.
- Complete all administrative paperwork as required (e.g. fall arrest safety plans, incident reports, etc.).
- Have and keep current all necessary license, certifications and training including First Aid.
- Perform production department duties as related to electrics.
- Read and abide by Citadel Theatre policies and procedures.
- A minimum of three (3) years’ experience within a professional theatre environment.
- Post-secondary theatre training, working knowledge of stage lighting and its equipment or equivalent experience.
- Proficiency of Excel, Word, Vectorworks and assorted lighting programs. Working knowledge of CAD is an asset.
- Certified in First Aid and Fall Arrest.Strong team leadership and interpersonal skills; able to maintain a calm and professional demeanor under pressure.
- Highly organized, able to multi-task, prioritize work and meet deadlines.
- Must have a flexible schedule as evening, weekend and overtime work is required.
- A positive attitude.
Applicants must be a member in good standing of IATSE or willing to join.
This position pays an hourly rate of $27.60 per hour.
Qualified applicants are encouraged to email a resume and letter of interest by August 29, 2021 to: Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org
Accommodation for job applicants with disabilities are available upon request.
The Citadel Theatre is committed to having our team reflect the community it serves and actively welcomes applicants from diverse and equity-seeking backgrounds. The Citadel also endeavors to create and guard a culture of respect and cooperation with all staff, artists, colleagues, volunteers and internal/external parties.
Thank you for your interest but only those persons chosen for interviews will be contacted. No telephone calls please.