PERMANENT FULL-TIME POSITION
ABOUT THE POSITION
Vertigo Theatre is looking for a dynamic, collaborative team member with a passion for theatrical innovation, mentorship, and training. The candidate will have proven experience, the ability to manage technical theatre installations, assist with budget tracking, and manage overall production and facility planning.
Reporting to the Production and Facilities Manager, the Technical Director for the Mystery Series is responsible for overseeing all technical elements for productions produced and/or presented by Vertigo Mystery Theatre.
- Work with Designers reviewing Set, Lighting, Sound, and Projection designs to ensure effectiveness, efficiency, cost, and safety.
- Work with all technical and creative personnel to ensure that there is open communication between all departments
- Create technical drawings for construction of sets and props
- Build or oversee the build of any special effects and electrical devices including but not limited to blood, gunshots, appearing/disappearing, rigging, atmospheric effects, flame, and pyrotechnics
- Research, source, and order the optimal equipment to be used to realize designs
- Adhere to budget guidelines as determined by the Production Manager
- Arrange for materials to be delivered to the Carpenter in a timely manner
- Maintain detailed and up-to-date inventory lists as well as the operation and maintenance of all theatre systems and inventories
- Supervision of all Technical Crew
- Assist the Production & Facility Manager with facility maintenance
- Ensure the safety of the workplace by helping to establish and enforcing all health, security, and safety policies and procedures
SKILLS AND REQUIREMENTS:
- Project Management experience in a supervisory role
- An extensive knowledge of all elements of theatre production
- Technical skills in lighting, sound, projection, and special effects
- Strong carpentry skills
- Familiarity with scenic construction techniques and cost estimation
- A strong working knowledge of Vectorworks with the ability to create detailed construction drawings
- Experience leading and supervising a crew
- Experience working with Designers and Directors
- Excellent communication skills, both verbally and in writing
- Ability to maintain a high quality of workmanship, achieving the attention to detail that the Theatre requires
- Degree in Technical Theatre with three (3) years experience working in a professional theatre company OR equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Comfortable working at heights
- Able to lift 50lbs
- Experience working in Excel spreadsheets using formulas
- Valid Class 5 Driver’s License (or equivalent) and clean Driver’s Abstract
- Comfortable driving larger vehicles
- Certifications are an asset, including:
○ Standard First Aid
○ Possession and Acquisition License
○ Fall Arrest Certification
○ Pyrotechnics License
Vertigo Theatre encourages a team-oriented environment. All personnel are required to participate in a wide range of activities or take on additional responsibilities from time to time that may be outside of the Core Responsibilities & Duties for each position.
40 hours per week with evenings and weekends when required.
$56,000 – 58,000 per year based on experience, paid semi-monthly
3 weeks holidays per annum plus other company designated holidays
Extended Health and Dental plan after 3 months with cost shared 50/50 between employee and employer.
As this is a management position, overtime is not applicable. Vertigo Theatre encourages Managers to organize their schedules as required to balance out heavier work periods vs. lighter in order to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Please note parking expenses are the employee’s responsibility and no designated parking is available onsite.
DEADLINE TO SUBMIT
The position will remain open until an appropriate candidate is selected. Interviews will start August 3, 2021.
Please send a cover letter with a resume or CV as well as three references to Jessie Paynter, Production and Facilities Manager, at Jessie.Paynter@vertigotheatre.com
Please use the subject line Technical Director Application.
At Vertigo Theatre we are committed to a respectful work environment and a diverse workforce. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals including visible minorities and people with disabilities.
Thank you to all applicants. Only those selected for interviews will be contacted. No phone calls please.