The Citadel Theatre is looking for a highly-organized team player who thrives in a fast-paced environment to join our Production team as Acting Head of Electrics. This is an acting head of department position starting Sept 27, 2021 until June 4, 2022.
The Citadel is a very active, not-for-profit theatre producing a season which usually includes a Mainstage series of six plays, a House Series, our Horizon Series, our seasonal production of A Christmas Carol, a summer musical and, assorted other projects as they arise from season to season. We support a vibrant theatre school and an active new play development program. Our facilities are available for rental by other arts organizations and community groups.
The Citadel complex includes:
- The Shoctor Theatre -a proscenium stage with 686 seats
- The Maclab Theatre -a thrust stage with 685 seats
- The Rice Theatre -a 155 seat cabaret-style theatre
- The Tucker Amphitheatre -an open-air multi-functional area which seats 150
- Zeidler Hall -a 220 seat theatre suitable for films and lectures
- The Lee Pavilion -a beautiful indoor garden.
The Acting Head of Electrics reports to the Director of Production and Technical Director in ensuring high quality production values for all Citadel productions and rental events relating to and supervising the Electrics team. They are responsible for the safe and effective operation of the electrical department; the organization, installation, operation and maintenance of all electrics and theatrical lighting equipment, stage lighting and special effect elements within the Citadel, related to the Citadel’s presentation of productions in all our spaces and on tours as well as other events, while making appropriate, effective and safe use of our facilities and human and financial resources. The Acting Head of Electrics must be ready to take a proactive leadership role in creating a respectful and positive workplace where all of our stakeholders are excited, connected and invested in the work of the theatre.
Responsibilities (under the direction of/in collaboration with the Director of Production (DP) and Technical Director (TD):
- Ensure the organization and maintenance of all electrical equipment and facilities and ensure these spaces are operated and maintained in a safe, organized manner.
- Ensure the inspection of all electrics equipment brought in for use and prohibit the use of any equipment deemed to be potentially hazardous and inform the DP and TD.
- Create and maintain accessible paperwork and archive of all plans of electrics designs/elements for each production.
- Participate in the development of estimates, costings, budgets and schedules in writing and be responsible and accountable for expenditures in budget accounts as assigned by the DP and TD, and the confidentiality of personnel and financial information, in conjunction with other related Department Heads.
- Cooperate with related Heads of Department on the set-up and running of all shows.
- Having read all scripts, follow lighting design and perform drafting functions when required; prep lighting plot and order equipment as required.
- Cooperate fully with the designer(s) in the realization of their designs, but such cooperation shall not supersede the directions of the DP or TD. Advise DP and TD of any service required of electric equipment.
- Research and recommend acquisition or improvement of lighting and electrical equipment In consultation with the DP and TD determine methods, materials and any special training to be used or needed.
- Oversee the storage of all electrical equipment, maintaining the efficient organization and cleanliness of the electrics department, its office and related areas.
- Create and maintain an accessible archive of all plans of electrical elements for each production
- Maintain updated lists of stock inventory
- Collaborate on appropriate season staffing with the approval of DP and TD
- Program and operate computerized lighting controls and special effects; run shows as assigned Effectively manage assigned crews
- Build and maintain positive personnel relationships and navigate conflict resolution
- Supervise all activities related to set-ups, operation and strikes of stage lighting, electrical distribution, special effects and customized components and shall be responsible for the operation of all the lighting controls systems in the Citadel.
- Ensuring compliance with all relevant legislation, licensing, certificates, safety requirements, IATSE agreement and company policies
- Attend meetings and rehearsals as required
- Collaborate and work with other Departments on all cross-over projects; and in the loading and unloading of equipment and production elements related to your department
- Report anticipated problems immediately to Management Complete all administrative paperwork as required (e.g. fall arrest safety plans, incident reports, etc)
- Have and keep current all necessary licenses, certificates and training, including First Aid Perform production department duties as related to electrics.
- Read and abide by Citadel Theatre policies and procedures.
- A minimum of five years’ experience within a professional theatre environment
- Post-secondary theatre training, working knowledge of stage lighting and its equipment or equivalent experience
- Proficiency of Excel, Word, Vectorworks and assorted lighting programs. Working knowledge of CAD is an asset
- Certified with First Aid and Fall arrest
- Strong team leadership and interpersonal skills; able to maintain a calm and professional demeanor under pressure
- Highly organized, able to multi-task, prioritize work and meet deadlines
- Must have a flexible schedule as evening, weekend and overtime work is required
- A positive attitude
Applicants must be a member in good standing of IATSE or willing to join. Qualified applicants are encouraged to email a resume and letter of interest by July 30, 2021 to: Human Resources at [email protected] The Citadel Theatre is committed to having out team reflect the community it serves and actively welcome applicants from diverse and equity-seeking backgrounds, The Citadel also endeavours to create a culture of respect and cooperation with all staff, artists, colleagues, volunteers and internal/ external parties, Thank you for your interest but only those persons chosen for interviews will be contacted. No telephone calls please.