Permanent Part-Time Position
ABOUT VERTIGO THEATRE
Vertigo Theatre is located at the base of the Calgary Tower in the heart of downtown Calgary, and is home to the organization, its two performance venues, and the BD&P Mystery Theatre Series. We are the only professional theatre committed to producing a full season of plays in the mystery genre. Each season, over 50,000 people pass through our doors (pre-COVID-19 restrictions).
Our artistic mandate allows exposure to a broad demographic and our diverse audience includes all walks of life.
Vertigo Theatre Society is governed by a volunteer Board of Directors and managed by a full-time professional staff led by our Artistic Director and Executive Director. We have personnel in artistic/production, marketing, fund development, administration and customer service.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
Vertigo Theatre is looking for a great communicator with an interest in the performing arts, the ability to work independently, and a strong initiative to improve current accounting processes. The ideal candidate will have post-secondary education in accounting, bookkeeping, or finance and will be able to learn quickly to adapt to changing circumstances.
The successful candidate will report directly to the Executive Director and be responsible for the maintenance of Vertigo Theatre’s financial information.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Timely execution of all accounts payable and accounts receivable journal entries into QuickBooks.
- Assisting with financial reporting.
- Creation of invoices.
- Payment issuance.
- Maintaining a chart of accounts.
- Reconciling payments from non-cheque sources, including ticketing and donations software, retail payment processors, cash sources, and e-transfers.
- Act as power-user for QuickBooks.
- Reconcile cash payments.
- Maintain regular non-invoiced payments, including Receiver General of Canada, unions, and other suppliers.
- Reconcile bank accounts on a monthly basis.
- Assist with annual audits.
- Assist with the evolution of financial systems and payment methods.
- Participate as a key employee in evolving administration and financial systems.
- Other general duties as assigned.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Minimum one year of experience in bookkeeping.
- Advanced QuickBooks skills.
- Familiarity with Canadian accounting principles for a non-profit, registered charity.
- Attention to detail.
- Problem-solving skills.
- Ability to maintain a flexible schedule due to the operational needs of a non-profit theatre company.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work with a variety of personalities.
Vertigo Theatre is committed to reflecting the diversity of our community. We believe in quality and inclusion and strongly encourage submissions from all qualified individuals regardless of gender, age, race, sexual orientation, and physical ability.
24 hours per week
$23-$28 per hour (based on experience)
On-site at Vertigo Theatre (115 9 Ave SE #161, Calgary, AB T2G 0P5). Parking is the employee’s responsibility.
June 15, 2021 (negotiable)
DEADLINE TO SUBMIT
June 10, 2021, or until a suitable candidate is selected.
Please send a cover letter, resume or CV, and three references to Rose Brow, Executive Director, at [email protected]. Interviews will commence immediately. Thank you to all applicants. Only those selected for interviews will be contacted. No phone calls please. For more information about Vertigo Theatre please visit our website: www.vertigotheatre.com.