A WONDERHEADS Christmas Carol
The WONDERHEADS are seeking two Physical Theatre Performers/Puppeteers to join the cast of A WONDERHEADS Christmas Carol, in Victoria, BC. This is a wordless adaptation of Charles Dickens’ A Christmas Carol performed in the styles of full-face mask and puppetry and is a fast-paced ensemble production; all performers/puppeteers play multiple roles in different masks, manipulate various puppets, change set pieces, and help each other backstage. There is no dialogue spoken in the show.
Assignment of specific roles will be based on the make-up of the ensemble and will take place after the full ensemble has been cast. Each performer will be cast in multiple roles, some performed in mask and some as a puppeteer.
OUR APPROACH TO CASTING
WONDERHEADS Theatre is dedicated to equity and diversity in casting. We highly encourage submissions from adult artists with a broad range of backgrounds and identities including, but not limited to: race, ethnicity, indigeneity, physical ability, gender, and sexuality.
We would like to acknowledge that A Christmas Carol is not a historically inclusive show. When casting BIPOC performers in this production, we are fully prepared and thrilled to have the opportunity to alter the design of our masks and puppets (with oversight from a BIPOC designer) based on the performer that is using them. We invite all bodies and lived experiences to audition for and participate in this production.
We are committed to supporting the needs of every project member and creating a space that is equitable, accessible, and safe for all. We have adopted the CAEA Respectful Workspaces Policy For Small Scale Engagers, which includes our communication and accountability procedures. This policy is provided to every ensemble member as part of their contract (and provided any time upon request).
$761/week (based on CAEA DOT professional fees, but please note, this is not a CAEA production)
- Puppetry, mask, mime and/or clown experience.
- Availability to commit to a flexible schedule.
- Positive attitude and an ensemble mentality.
If you have any access needs we can support in this process, there is a place to describe them on the audition submission form.
Canadian residents only, please. You do not need to live in Victoria, BC to apply.
PHASE 1 (Confirmed*): Development Rehearsals
*As of the time of posting, this phase is confirmed. If there is a shift in the COVID-19 pandemic that makes this phase untenable or unsafe, we will reschedule.
Dates: Sept. 13 – Oct. 1 (full-time – 5 days a week)
Location: Victoria, BC
Description: A WONDERHEADS Christmas Carol is an original production we created in 2019. This fall we will spend three weeks redeveloping parts of the show. This development period will be led by Directors and Co-Devisers Andrew Phoenix and Kate Braidwood, and will involve the full ensemble working together to test and set this new material.
PHASE 2 (Tentative): Rehearsals and Performances
Dates: Nov. 22 – Dec. 21, 2021 (full-time – mixed schedule)
Location: Victoria, BC
Description: This phase is dependent on the state of the COVID-19 pandemic and public health guidelines in place at the time. It would include 2.5 weeks of rehearsals followed by a series of performances at 1-4 venues on Vancouver Island. This could include some overnight touring. We ask that applicants submit only if they currently have this time period available, but we don’t expect you to hold it for us until the contract is confirmed.
JUNE 20, 2021
We will follow up with you within three weeks of the submission deadline. If selected for a callback, these will take place in July, either in person in Victoria, BC or via Zoom.
HOW TO SUBMIT
1) Fill out and submit the audition form: docs.google.com/forms
2) Email the following to email@example.com with ‘Audition’ in the subject line:
- a photo (headshots are accepted but not expected or required)
- a resume, if you have one (non-submission will not play a factor in your audition)
- a YouTube or Vimeo link to a short audition video, and password if there is one (see video audition guidelines below)
Be sure to include your first and last name in all filenames.
Please note, you may also use WeTransfer.com to send us your video file as an alternative to providing a link.
VIDEO AUDITION INSTRUCTIONS
Please create an original video audition using the following guidelines:
- We’d like to see you take on three different and distinct physical characters, and present them in a cycle format (so, enter as your first character, do a thing, exit, enter as the next character, do a thing, etc.).
- Keep it simple. We’re hoping to see bold and precise physical character choices, not a complex story.
- Silent (no words spoken).
- You may use masks and/or props, but this is not expected or required.
- Frame the video so we can see your whole body.
- 2 minutes max.
- 300 mb file size max (if sending via WeTransfer).
We really appreciate your interest in joining the cast of A WONDERHEADS Christmas Carol.
Please feel free to reach out with any questions to Artistic Directors Kate Braidwood and Andrew Phoenix via email at firstname.lastname@example.org