Job- Summer Camp Assistant Coordinator (Full-time, 8 weeks)
Quest Theatre is looking for several assistants aged 18-30 to ensure the smooth operation of Drama Camps for young people aged 6-15 in summer 2021. The intention is for these camps to be delivered both in-person and online, with the coordinators involved in supporting the Head Camp Coordinator, Camp Instructors, and students.
- Camp preparations such as compiling documentation & supplies, registration info, class lists, gathering & maintaining waivers and permissions
- Assist in preparation of physical spaces – office, rehearsal halls, theatre
- Assisting with daily operations of the Summer Camp including:
- welcoming campers and parents
- health screening
- camper supervision
- working with instructors
- Assisting with final camp performances including technical aspects such as sound and lighting, props and costumes, plus filming/recording/streaming as needed
- Maintaining COVID-19 protocols such as signage and reminding campers about physical distancing, mask-wearing and hand sanitization
- Cleaning and sanitization as per COVID-19 protocols
- Technical and admin support for online instructors and students
- Other duties as mutually agreed upon with their supervisor.
The ideal candidate…
- You are a highly organised and computer literate emerging theatre artist, likely with or working towards a drama degree (or have equivalent experience, which may include volunteering, in the creative theatre process). You enjoy and have experience of supervising and/or working with young people. You are a strong communicator committed to the creative development and theatrical education of young people.
- You are a team player and know how to have fun and be silly in a responsible way and model this behaviour for others. Some experience with the creative use/construction of props, costumes and sets would be an asset.
- Security check (paid by Quest Theatre) is a requirement. A valid driver’s license and comfort driving our small fleet of touring vans is essential.
- Candidates must be aged between 18 and 30, as this job is funded through the Canada Summer Jobs program.
This is an employment role for 8 weeks for 35 hours per week / 7 hours per day. Dates and times to be mutually agreed between June 21 and August 31, 2021
Remuneration is $18.00 per hour plus 4% vacation pay, MERCs and a bring your own device allowance to cover personal laptop/cell phone use.
Location: The assistants will work primarily at cSPACE King Edward in Calgary, but may also have opportunities to work from home when assisting online camps.
This role is largely Mon-Fri 8.15am-4.15pm (camps run 9am-3.30pm) with a 1 hr unpaid meal break. On the job training, support and supervision will be provided by our small and dedicated team.
Apply by Friday, May 21, 2021 at 4pm to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use Camp Assistant Application in the email subject line.
Include the following in your email:
- Cover letter
- Link to a Short Video:
- Create a 30 second to 2 minute video that teaches something to young people.
- Choose a drama activity for young people between the ages of 6 and 15 (please identify what ages it would be best for).
- Introduce the activity and give clear instructions.
- Conduct the activity. We recognize this assignment is somewhat artificial, but see if you can demonstrate how you would inspire young people to participate in your activity (i.e. imagine young people are watching you and you are leading them in the activity).
- Videos can be shot on your phone or computer and uploaded to the platform of your choice.
- This assignment is for internal purposes only and will not be shared outside of the Quest staff.
If you require special access needs (no access to equipment, deaf, or blind ESL, please let us know).
We respectfully invite and encourage (but do not require) candidates to let us know in their cover letter if they belong to one or more equity-seeking groups such as Indigenous (First Nations, Metis and/or Inuit), Black, People of Color, LGBTQ2SIA+, newcomers to Canada, those living with disabilities and/or caregivers. We would be happy to discuss accommodating your specific access and other needs.
We thank all those who apply, and regret that we will only be able to contact those shortlisted for the role.
This position is made possible thanks to funding from Canada Summer Jobs as well as Quest Theatre’s operational funders, Calgary Arts Development, Alberta Foundation for the Arts, and Canada Council for the Arts.
Quest Theatre is located at cSPACE King Edward, 1721 29 Avenue S.W. Calgary, Alberta in Suite #325. Please visit www.questtheatre.org for more information on the organisation.
For over 35 years Quest Theatre has nurtured young people through exceptional adventures in theatre, creating intelligent and whimsical work that encourages young people to explore who they are, discover what is important, and build the kind of world they want to live in. We do theatre WITH young people and FOR young people with the knowledge that exposure to the arts is vital for their personal growth, character development, and sense of belonging in society.