Alberta Theatre Projects is preparing for our 50th Anniversary Season of producing live, professional, contemporary theatre in Calgary.
We create world-class contemporary theatre that blurs the line between the audience and the artist, by telling the most provocative and engaging stories of our time. By embracing the intimacy and unique audience configuration opportunities of the Martha Cohen Theatre, we offer an exciting new experience for our audience with each production.
This is a very exciting time in the history of Alberta Theatre Projects as we look to the future of how our company can be a leader in new play development and producing the finest contemporary theatre that engages our community by reflecting their stories on stage. The Producer is paramount to realizing these goals in acting as the senior management professional in our artistic department and an influential leader for all staff.
Building on the legacy of Executive & Artistic Director Darcy Evans, Alberta Theatre Projects is in a high growth phase and we are excited to keep the momentum going as one of our country’s leaders in professional theatre and we can’t wait for you to join us on this journey. This role is targeted to start in early June 2021.
WHO YOU ARE
The Producer is a full-time, year-round, permanent role on our Senior Management team. Temporarily reporting to the Interim Artistic Director and working closely with the Interim Executive Director as we recruit for an Executive & Artistic Director (who will be your permanent supervisor), you’ll collaborate with members of both the Artistic and Senior Management teams. You will champion season planning/scheduling and be responsible for all aspects of artistic administration, including contract negotiation and execution for both our stage production and play development programming. You’re key to bringing our artistic vision to reality through the skills and relationships you’ve developed through your career.
Our ideal match is a strategic thinker who can effectively juggle and prioritize the many moving pieces of this role, has the ability to anticipate and resolve problems in a timely manner, and is an emotionally intelligent relationship builder. As an avid believer in the positive power of live theatre, the Producer represents the company at live events as required. As a member of the Senior Management team, you will support and encourage those around them by leading by example.
WHAT YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR
- Managing artistic operations to support artistic excellence and operational efficiency
- Managing contract negotiation, creation, compliance, and execution of artistic contracts for actors, directors, choreographers, music directors, fight directors and dialect coaches, and any artistic support staff, including cultural competency support
- Managing co-production contracts, adherence, and payments
- Managing literary and production rights contracts, licenses, compliance, commissions, and payments
- Building and fostering relationships with agents, rights holders, producers and artists, locally, nationally and internationally
- Overseeing health, safety and wellness of artistic personnel and operations
- Assisting the Executive & Artistic Director with general season planning and scheduling
- Working with marketing, development, education and outreach to support the involvement of artists for ancillary events, and to ensure billing accuracy in all digital and print materials
- Being the communication hub between artistic, administration and production teams for seamless accomplishment of artistic programming
- Coach, mentor, and supervise an associate-level staff member on company management and youth engagement activities
- Create and own artistic and creative budgets
- Ensure details of artist payroll and payments for activities across the organization are provided to financial cross-functional partners
- Assist with the management of production budgets in collaboration with the Production Manager and General Manager as necessary
Union Liaison and Compliance
- Liaises with, and manages compliance of Collective Bargaining Agreements of various unions and associations, including the Professional Association of Canadian Theatres (PACT), the Canadian Actors’ Equity Association (CAEA), the Playwrights Guild of Canada (PGC) and the Alliance of Canadian Cinema, Television and Radio Artists (ACTRA) and others as appropriate
WHAT YOU BRING TO ALBERTA THEATRE PROJECTS
- Alignment with Alberta Theatre Projects’ mission, vision and values and commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion
- At least 5 years of leadership experience in a professional theatre setting
- Experience with contract negotiation, execution and compliance
- Proven ability to manage artistic and production budgets
- Attention to detail and organization skills
- Ability to build, maintain and foster positive relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- A collaborative and team oriented mindset
- Excellent communication and proactive problem-solving skills
- A strong understanding/working knowledge of the Canadian Theatre Agreement (CTA)
AND, IF YOU BRING THESE, WE’LL BE EVEN MORE EXCITED!
- Experience with Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion in Canadian theatre landscape
- Interest in mentoring emerging theatre administrators
WHAT WE CAN OFFER
This role is part of the artistic staff group and receives benefits as set out by staff policies. Annual salary range for this role is $65,000 – 71,000. Alberta Theatre Projects is working hard to become an employer of choice and we’re looking forward to being your choice employer through flexible hours, work from home opportunities, and a team environment.
To apply please email a letter of interest and resume by email to Kyle Russell, Interim Executive Director, [email protected] before May 6, 2021. All applications are held in strict confidence.
Alberta Theatre Projects is committed to reflecting the diversity of our community. We believe in equity and inclusion and strongly encourage submissions from all qualified individuals regardless of gender, age, race, sexual orientation, and physical ability.
Thank you to all applicants. Only those selected for interviews will be contacted. For more information about Alberta Theatre Projects please visit our website, albertatheatreprojects.com.