THEATRE CALGARY PRESENTS
SHAKESPEARE BY THE BOW 2021
Theatre Calgary will be holding virtual auditions for the company of Shakespeare by the Bow (SBTB) which will be directed by RENELTTA ARLUK. Theatre Calgary is very interested in seeing performers from all backgrounds, ethnicities, and abilities, especially those who have been marginalized and underrepresented in the theatre community.
Shakespeare by the Bow is a program designed to help emerging actors make the transition from their training into the professional theatre. This year the company will be split into small, independent troupes of actors who will perform in various outside locations around Calgary and surrounding area. Each troupe will travel to performance locations in a van and will be responsible for setting up and striking all scenic and technical elements.*If you have physical limitations that may impact this aspect of the job, please discuss as work-arounds are definitely possible.
Participants will be paid on a weekly basis.
First day of rehearsal Tuesday, June 29, 2021
Opening Saturday, July 17, 2021
Closing Sunday, August 15, 2021
- Must either live in Alberta or be from Alberta. No housing or transportation will be provided.
- Cannot be mid-program at a post-secondary institution, whether in theatre or something else.
- Post-secondary education is not required but participants must be at least 18 years old.
- Cannot have more than six years of experience in the theatre community after completion of educational program (high school or post-secondary). *If you graduated earlier but have not been a fully active member of the theatre community for six years, please indicate this and explain.
- Cannot be a full member of Canadian Actors’ Equity Association (CAEA) or ACTRA.
PLEASE PREPARE (ON VIDEO)
- A short introduction of yourself and why you are interested in being in SBTB this summer – 2 min max
- One monologue/soliloquy of your choice from any play by Shakespeare (doesn’t have to be age appropriate or gender traditional) – 2 min max
- Either a second, contrasting Shakespearian monologue or a song or a dance – 2 min max
- Optional: a video of a special skill such as playing an instrument, juggling, etc. – 1 min max
Please submit headshots and resumes* and either YouTube or Vimeo link(s)** to the video(s) to Susan McNair Reid, Theatre Calgary, at our audition email address email@example.com by the end of day Sunday, May 9. Please use “SBTB audition submission” in the subject line. All artists will be contacted, even if there is no role for them this year. Some applicants will be contacted to set up a Zoom callback.
*Headshots do not need to be from a professional photographer and resumes should include any performing arts (drama, music, dance) training and/or experience, any special skills that may be useful, as well as contact information.
**These platforms do not require the viewer to download videos and the links can be easily forwarded to the director. Submissions will be watched by Reneltta Arluk and Susan McNair Reid.