PUPPET PUB CRAWL
CALL FOR DEVISING PERFORMERS
WHAT IS PUPPET PUB CRAWL?
Puppet Pub Crawl is a project from Even Gilchrist in Edmonton, the 2021 Fresh AiR Artist in Residence with Found Festival, supported by Common Ground Arts Society. This performance is an ambulatory puppet show investigating the desire we feel to form connections with strangers, and the longing experienced when these connections change. Adventurous audience members are invited to a puppet pub crawl around Whyte Ave, where they will be taken on a path to witness strange and wonderful interactions with puppets in found spaces.
WHO SHOULD APPLY?
We are looking for individuals who approach new work with a collaborative spirit and eagerness to adapt and learn on the go. Applicants must be 18 years of age or older. As this is a devised show that moves to locations within walking distance of each other, individuals will need to feel comfortable moving with the audience, improvising with their puppets during the performance as necessary and working with outside distractions. No previous performing experience with puppets is required.
We are looking for individuals who:
- Have a background in theatre as a performer (formal training not required);
- Are enthusiastic about puppets (regardless of experience performing with them);
- Can commit to a part-time weekly rehearsal process from April to July based on collective availability;
- Are available July 8 – 11, 2021 for public performance during Found Festival.
All team members will be expected to understand and follow the Found Festival Safer Spaces Program. We strive to welcome you as you are, honour creative risks, and prioritize applicants who come from underrepresented and underserved communities.
HOW SHOULD I APPLY?
We are looking for online submissions to be sent to [email protected]. When submitting your application, please include the following:
- A CV and/or attachment or link your portfolio;
- General availability between April – July;
- A short paragraph that tells us about who you are, why you’re interested in Puppet Pub Crawl, what you hope to gain from this experience, and anything else you want us to know!
- If you prefer, you can instead submit a 2-3 minute video, answering these prompts. (Please make sure that the link is not broken before submitting!)
Performers will be paid in line with Canadian Actor’s Equity Association Indie 2.2 minimum fees or better. Please identify if you are a member of CAEA at time of submission.
Deadline for applications is April 7, 2021 by midnight. Every applicant will be contacted about the results no later than April 10, 2021. If you have any questions about the project and specifics about the process that will help determine your ability to participate, please feel free to send an email to the address listed above before the deadline. All COVID-19 safety protocols will be followed during the duration of this project.
Rory Turner (he/him) (director) and Even Gilchrist (he/him) (producer/artist in residence) will be overlooking the application process.