CYPT provides young people the opportunity to explore the performing arts and develop their creativity and teamwork skills through summer camps, classes, workshops and production opportunities. CYPT produces a theatrical season made up of 4 productions, in which youth ages 9-17 audition for the chance to be a part of a professional theatre process and performance. We offer a mentorship program within our productions, giving older students or recent alumni a chance to shadow our production team to learn other theatrical skills including directing, stage management or design. Strategically, CYPT aims to increase our awareness, both in the broader arts community and among youth/their families, to best identify and expand our partnership and funding opportunities.
Our Vision: To be a creative, resilient, and collaborative society that embraces the artistry and contributions of young people.
Our Mission: To inspire and mentor the next generation of arts creators and enthusiasts by offering brave, creative spaces where young people can express themselves and their ideas.
Our Values: Integrity, Passion, Honesty, Kindness, Fun
We are looking for passionate, dedicated individuals to support the young people and families who comprise CYPT by joining our board of directors. There are various opportunities for individuals to contribute, however there is a current focus in the areas of fundraising & fund development, advertising & marketing, communications & public relations and strategic planning/execution. Experience in the visual/performing arts is an asset but not a necessity. CYPT welcomes and values individuals with a wide range of skills and endeavours to recruit and retain a board of directors with as broad a representation of age, gender, race, sexuality and gender-identity as possible.
Aside from being a part of a dynamic and fun group of professionals, a board position with CYPT means you are:
- Making an impact in the lives of young people.
- Directly and indirectly supporting and growing the arts and cultural community of Calgary.
- Provided the opportunity to renew an organization with a solid foundation of members, staff, and expertise.
A board position with CYPT involves an average of 8-10 hours per month, and includes:
- Attending monthly board meetings (via Zoom or in person at the West Village Theater).
- Board meeting preparation, including review of the previous meeting’s minutes, updated cash flow, artistic and financial reports, etc.
- Assistance with fundraising ideas and activities.
- Participation on CYPT’s Communications Committee, Fundraising Committee or HR & Policy Committee (which is not required but adds significant value to both the organization and the experience of the board member).
- Attendance at productions is highly encouraged but not required. This allows board members to see the impact they are having on the lives of young people through their volunteerism and provides better context to speak about the organization when they are representing CYPT in the community.
Contact: Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested.