The Canmore Summer Theatre Festival (CSTF) is seeking a Costume Designer for our upcoming 2021 festival. The Costume Designer will be responsible for working with the festival directors on the design of costumes for both shows in the festival. This year, the CSTF team are proud to present William Shakespeare’s Twelfth Night and Minotaur by Kevin Dyer. Performances will take place outdoors at the Stan Rogers Stage in Centennial Park, Canmore from August 11 to 22, 2021.
The CSTF pairs working theatre artists with local volunteers and provides mentorship opportunities. Travel to Canmore will be required throughout the term of the contract.
This is a paid position. Compensation will be negotiated based on the level of experience of the candidate, taking into account funding availability.
We encourage submissions from diverse artists of all backgrounds, regardless of race, color, gender, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Examine script in detail in order to understand costume requirements
- Work with directors on their visions for both shows
- Work alongside, manage and delegate to local volunteers on the sourcing/creation of costumes
- Design sketches of costumes
- Present sketches for approval
- Execute expenditures and keep budget in check
- Submit all wardrobe related receipts to producer
- Plan and supervise costume fittings and dress rehearsals
- Make arrangements to clean, return, store, and/or dispose of used costumes after production run
- Previous working experience as costume designer
- In-depth knowledge of design, materials and textiles
- Ability to work creatively within restrictive budgets
- Good time-management skills
- Ability to task manage efficiently
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Critical-thinker and problem-solver
- Auditions – April 11, 13, and 15, call backs April 18, 20, and 22
- 1st Read and design presentation – May 9
- Rehearsals – Sundays 10-6pm, Tuesdays and Thursdays 6-9pm
- Festival performances – August 11-22
Please submit applications to [email protected]. You are required to submit a resume, portfolio or sample of previous work, headshot, a references document, and a cover letter outlining your theatre experience and how you would be an asset to the festival. The application deadline is midnight Mountain Time on March 21, 2021.