GSM Project – SAM CENTRE – Calgary Stampede Foundation Multimedia Experience
GSM Project, a Montreal-based visitor experience design firm, and its client the Calgary Stampede Foundation is looking for a creative duo, scriptwriter and multimedia creator *, to imagine and execute on the Concept for a permanent, 12-17-minute multimedia show experience that will live at the future SAM Centre, the only year-round, immersive experience that shares Stampede history, culture, and spirit.
It connects locals and visitors through story-making that is evolving and fun. It’s as much about the future as it is about the past. It’s always relevant and relatable—no matter who you are or where you come from.
The SAM Centre visitor experience is at the Schematic Design Phase, in which the multimedia component of the global visitor experience will be developed. At this point, some preliminary thoughts have been developed to describe the experience.
Preliminary thoughts about the multimedia experience
- A new ‘destination’ for Calgarians and out-of-town visitors to experience the Calgary Stampede in a unique way, living the Stampede up close, and feeling the thrill of the live events and the competitions.
- Anchor the Calgary Stampede in its origin story, from Guy Weadick, the Stampede’s founder, to stories of Elbow River Camp, rodeo and western events and so much more
- Highly immersive media space
- Importance of sound, music, energy
- Potential inclusion of props, artifacts and sets in the multimedia experience
- Will potentially rely heavily on existing media footage of the Calgary Stampede over the years
- May involve original filming in studio and on Stampede grounds during 10-day (2022)
- Could potentially integrate audience participation and interaction
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
PHASE 1: Script and Preliminary Scenario : February/March 2021.
PHASE 2: Final Scenario : April-June 2021.
(For info, production will happen in 2022-2023)
- Research the subject (history of the Calgary Stampede, essence of the event then and now) in collaboration with the Calgary Stampede’s in-house historian
- Develop the storyline(s)
- Work in close collaboration with the multimedia creator
Multimedia Creator (scenario, show)
- Bring the storyline to life visually (storyboard)
- Create the approach the use of media, film, light, sets, props, sound, music
- Research/explore the Calgary Stampede and its partners’ film archives to identify
existing material that can be used in the multimedia experience – Work in close collaboration with the scriptwriter
DEADLINE: February 17, 2021
Submit your expression of interest with background on who you are, what your practice is and which role you are interested in. Feel free to include links to samples of work but don’t spend hours on this – just let us understand your practice, experience and interest at this point.
* NOTE: Creatives can apply as an individual artist or a group.
In recruiting for our team, we welcome the unique contributions that you can bring in terms of your education, opinions, culture, ethnicity, sex, gender identity and expression, nation of origin, age, languages spoken, colour, religion, ability, sexual orientation and beliefs.
These roles will be contracted and managed by GSM Project.
Send to: Genevieve Angio-Morneau
Creative Director / Cultural Sector Lead
Questions? Genevieve at GSM Project and/or
Angie Gelinas at SAM Centre Project Director, Calgary Stampede