Jupiter Theatre is Holding Auditions for a Workshop of Frankenstein
PRODUCTION INFORMATION FOR FRANKENSTEIN WITH JUPITER THEATRE:
Play: Frankenstein by Andrew G. Cooper, based on the book by Mary Shelley
Director: Andrew G. Cooper
Workshop Dates: March 29 – April 4, 2021 – with some part-time rehearsals in March 2021.
Audition Submission Dates/Deadline: February 12, 2021
Audition Dates: February 15 – 20th, 2021 (online)
ABOUT THE PLAY:
Frankenstein presents the tragedy of an outcast creature who was brought to life by the young Victor Frankenstein. In this adaptation of Mary Shelley’s spine-chilling Gothic classic, Victor is obsessed with discovering the secrets of science and nature, but nothing can prepare him for what he brings to life one dark night in the heart of winter. So begins a life-or-death adventure the creature struggles to find his place in the world while battling the demons inside himself.
- The Creature — Male. 20s – 30s. Physically disabled. The creation of Victor Frankenstein. Intelligent and sensitive. Consideration for the role is open to any actor who lives with a physical disability of any kind.
- Victor Frankenstein — Male. 20s. A student in Ingolstadt who discovers the secret of life. Hungry for knowledge and glory.
- Elizabeth Lavenza — Female, late teens/early 20s. An orphan, two years younger than Victor, whom the Frankenstein family adopted as a child. Now a passionate and inquisitive young woman.
- Henry Clerval — Male. Early 20s. A student who dreams of chivalric adventures and romance. Victor’s cheerful boyhood friend.
- Alphonse Frankenstein — Male. 40s +. A well-esteemed gentleman and Victor’s father. A war veteran and magistrate of the Genevan government.
- William Frankenstein — Male. 10 years old. Victor’s precocious younger brother and the darling of the Frankenstein family. Seeking submissions from youth actors of any genders who can pass for about ten years old.
- Justine Moritz — Female, late teens/early 20s. A pious young servant in the Frankenstein household.
- Monsieur de Lacey — Male. 40s +. A blind man whose family has fallen on hard times. A beautiful singer and storyteller. Consideration for the role is open to any actor who live with blindness, low vision, or partial sight.
- Felix de Lacey — Male. 20s/30s. De Lacey’s son, hardworking and helpful.
- Agatha de Lacey — Female. 20s/30s. Felix’s wife. Optimistic and soft-hearted. The rock of the family.
- Some roles may be double cast in the production. In regards to the age ranges and genders listed, these are for the characters and do not need to dictate the performers who submit for these roles.
Rehearsals: Part-time rehearsals start March 1st, 2021 on weekends and possible weekday evenings with schedule to be confirmed.
Technical rehearsals and workshop dates: March 29 to April 4, 2021. Daytime and evening rehearsals.
To submit your interest, please email your performing resume and headshot to Andrew G. Cooper at [email protected] with the subject line “FRANKENSTEIN AUDITION.” Please indicate which role(s) you would like to be considered for and include any experience you have with movement/dance, mask, and stage combat. If you have a preferred date and time or scheduling conflicts with the auditions, please let us know.
We are flexible at this time as to what the auditions will look like, but they will not be taking place in person. We will be conducting auditions via video call, phone, and will also be accepting video submissions. Those who we would like to see for the auditions will be given the instructions and materials for the auditions. If you have accessibility needs that we should be aware of or if this application process is a barrier to you, please reach out to us Artistic Producer Andrew G. Cooper at 587-222-1676 or [email protected].
Performers engaged for Frankenstein will receive a guaranteed honorarium of $250 for this workshop process. Jupiter Theatre is not engaging CAEA members at this time. We are only accepting submissions from Calgary-based artists at this time.
Jupiter Theatre encourages submissions from diverse artists of all backgrounds, regardless of race, colour, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We welcome applicants to inform us of their pronouns if they wish, and to include details about how their identity informs their practice and needs as they feel comfortable.
In accordance with our Anti-Racism/Anti-Oppression Statement and our Response to the 35//50 Initiative, we are actively seeking submissions from IBPOC individuals. With our ongoing commitment to inclusivity and accessibility as part of our mandate, we also strongly encourage submissions from the LGBTQ2+ and disabled communities.
Rehearsals and workshop dates are currently pending due to provincial guidelines for the COVID-19 pandemic. It is our hope that we will have meetings and some rehearsals in May via Zoom and then meet in person with a rigorous COVID-19 safety plan in place for the week of the workshop. This project will be in full compliance of Alberta Health Services in regards to the pandemic. Because of this, there is a possibility that the project may be delayed or rescheduled.
DEADLINE TO SUBMIT: February 13th, 2021 at 5:00 pm (MST)
Jupiter Theatre is an independent theatre company in Calgary, AB. Jupiter Theatre creates original works of Canadian theatre that are visual, physical, and moving. We seek to share powerful stories that explore the human condition and challenge audiences with contemporary social issues through visceral and innovative productions.
Jupiter Theatre would like to recognize the lands on which we work, explore, and create: Jupiter Theatre calls Treaty 7 Territory our home, which is the traditional territory of the Blackfoot Confederacy (comprising the Siksika, Piikani, and Kainai First Nations), the Tsuut’ina First Nation, and the Stoney Nakoda (including the Chiniki, Bearspaw, and Wesley First Nations). The City of Calgary is also home to Métis Nation of Alberta, Region III.
More information about the company can be found on our website at www.theatrejupiter.com.