2021 Stage One Festival of New Canadian Work
Call for Submissions
Lunchbox Theatre invites playwrights to submit one-act plays (45-65 minutes) for consideration for the 34th Annual Stage One Festival of New Canadian Work.
Lunchbox Theatre presents one-act plays with a focus on celebrating human stories—creating engaging theatre that is accessible, inclusive, affordable and sustainable. We are committed to representing diverse voices and encourage playwrights of all backgrounds to submit. We acknowledge that Lunchbox has a history of programming predominantly white playwrights, and we are committed to taking an honest look at our past and building a more inclusive future. We are eager to hear from IBPOC creators.
Stage One submissions must include a solid, workshop-ready draft of a script that could be suitable for an eventual production at Lunchbox Theatre. While selection to participate in Stage One does not guarantee a future production, please note that large casts, complex technical requirements, or excessive use of foul language or nudity may limit a project’s viability at Lunchbox. Applicants are encouraged to familiarize themselves with our mandate and recent programming to ensure their submission is appropriate.
All chosen playwrights receive a weeklong workshop including dramaturgical support, with a professional director and actors, followed by a public reading. Successful applicants will receive a $1,000 development fee: $600 during the workshop process and $400 upon receipt of the post-workshop draft. Stage One will take place May 25-June 19, 2021. Funding dependent, up to eight plays will be chosen for development. Successful applicants must be available to attend the full schedule of workshops and reading. Consideration of the playwright’s availability is given when scheduling the workshops. Depending on Covid-19 provincial and city restrictions, the workshops will happen over Zoom if we are unable to gather in person.
Rules & Regulations
- Submissions are open to all permanent residents of Canada who have been residents of the country for a minimum of 12 months
- Entry deadline is 31 March 2021
- Scripts that have been professionally produced are not eligible
- All submissions must be in hard copy only
- Lunchbox Theatre is committed to accessibility. If submitting a hard copy presents a major hurdle to entering the festival, then please e-mail Bronwyn by March 1, 2021 with a request to submit electronically.
- All submissions should include
- Playwright’s resume
- History of any development the play has received thus far
- 100 word synopsis of the play
- Minimum 25 pages of the script being submitted; a full script is preferred
- If the playwright chooses, you may include your pronouns and information about how you self-identify. This information will not be shared publicly or used to assess your application.
Please submit applications in hard copy form to:
Stage One Submissions
410 131 9 Avenue SW
Calgary, AB T2P 1K1
If you have any questions, or for more information, please contact Artistic Director, Bronwyn Steinberg at email@example.com