Why work at The GRAND?
The GRAND is a non-profit organization committed to supporting our local arts community and our mandate to be Calgary’s Contemporary Culture House.
In addition to its theatre productions and support of the arts, The GRAND property is also well positioned for rentals, hosting and curating events such as corporate functions, corporate parties, fund raisers, weddings, music, comedy, fashion shows and similar events related to the community.
Through challenging economic times and the COVID-19 pandemic, The Board of The GRAND has been working diligently on preparing a sustainable path forward for The GRAND to ensure we are a sustainable foundation for curating the arts in Calgary.
To make this happen, we are building a talented team of people who are passionate about our local arts community and possessing key skills needed to lead us forward. We’re incredibly proud of our team and their commitment to the arts community in Calgary. Learn more about The GRAND at our website.
How do you fit in?
Reporting to The Board of Directors, the General Manager oversees the business operations of The GRAND and executes on the business model. The General Manager is the most senior level role in the organization and responsible for general oversight and accountability of all aspects of the organization.
The right candidate faces each day with optimism. They are accountable, flexible, adaptable to change, a proactive multi-tasker, and are adept at forging relationships within the community and with all internal and external stakeholders of The GRAND. This candidate takes initiative and always goes the extra mile, supporting the team with needed tasks no matter how small, with a positive attitude and image at all times.
What you’ll be doing:
- Build strategic and tactical plans to execute on the business model, vision and mandate of The GRAND as set by The Board
- Carries out various tasks independently and with the assistance of a small team to ensure strategic and tactical plans are achieved
- Manages and accountable for The GRAND’s finances
- Ensures accurate and timely financial reporting
- Forecasts booking revenues and cancellations; accurately tracks consumption on all bookings; ensures prompt and accurate billing
- Responsible for human resources
- Preparing grant applications and all required government correspondence
- Represents the theatre within the community, including attendance at conferences, community events, and performances
- Actively promotes the theatre, rental opportunities, events and functions
- Acquires clients through prospecting, relationships and community awareness
- Coordinates and leads site tours for potential clients
- Assists clients in planning room set-up, decorations and other services as requested by the client
- Assists clients in handover to food and beverage supplier
- Provides personal welcome for major events and functions
- Ensures all requirements are communicated and completed to clients’ specifications
- Follows up to ensure client satisfaction
- General office and building management
- Ensures all collateral materials for advertising, promoting and securing business for The GRAND are up to date and ready for distribution
- Manages production and presentation budgets
- Prepares and delivers presentations to The Board
- Supervises, directs, engages and develops team
- Sets policies and standards for the operation of the theatre
- Work with the Resident Company of Artists to develop new creation work and contributes to curating and building seasons and programming
- Maintains a clean, safe and secure working environment
- Manages personnel matters and follows all employment standards and occupational health and safety guidelines
- Ensure that internal communications are as efficient as possible and contribute to the overall effectiveness of the team
- Lead and participate in relevant internal meetings, team meetings, and production meetings.
- Be the primary onsite contact/liaison/representative of The GRAND
- Ensures the building is up kept to The GRAND’s standards
- Maintains a professional image at all times
- Other responsibilities as needed
What you must have:
- Industry experience; Experience in the hospitality industry will also be considered
- Post-secondary education, preferably in the arts, is considered a strong asset
- Certificate or training in management of non-profit organizations and strategic planning is considered a strong asset
- Previous experience reporting to a board of directors, or a member of a board is a strong asset
- Proven decision-making capabilities, resourcefulness to conduct independent research and gather information
- Exceptional communication and strong interpersonal skills; innovative, resourceful and results oriented.
- Proactive sales approach, assertive, fast-paced, and driven to succeed, with confidence in negotiation skills
- Able to work evenings and weekends as required
- High degree of professionalism and dedication
- Confident, detail orientated and enthusiastic team player with superior leadership, interpersonal, communication and organizational skills
- Desire to roll up sleeves to execute on tasks in addition to leading
- Flexible and able to manage multiple priorities, regularly taking on new responsibilities.
- Intermediate skills in Microsoft Outlook, OneDrive, Word, PowerPoint and Excel
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to interact effectively with different personality types
Where you’ll be working:
This position is in The GRAND building located at 608 1 St SW in Calgary
Ready to join our team?
If you’d like to be part of a non-profit organization that is committed to being Calgary’s Contemporary Culture House and fostering an environment where everyone feels welcome and respected, The GRAND is the place for you!
To apply, submit your resume in confidence to Brandy Eichhorn, Director by emailing brandy@TheGrandYYC.ca
The GRAND hires personnel on the basis of job-related qualifications. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to a Person’s ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, record of offences, marital status, family status or disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
We appreciate your interest in working with us, but only those applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.