It’s an exciting time to join Lougheed House as we continue to grow as a cultural hub for Calgary and our Beltline community! During the winter season, we heighten this feeling by transforming the house into a “must-see” holiday wonderland. This year, we are seeking to hire a team of designers from the theatre community who are interested in bringing their skills and creativity to develop an immersive holiday experience for our guests.
Lougheed House was built in 1891 and is a National and Provincial Historic Site. Designed by Ottawa architect James R. Bowes for Senator James and Isabella Lougheed, it is one of the earliest surviving mansions of its kind on the Canadian prairies today. Located in the Beltline district of Calgary amid several acres of heritage gardens and green space, the House is also an accredited museum and significant Calgary landmark. It features a regular exhibition program, restaurant, gift shop, and hosts events, tours, and learning opportunities for visitors of all ages.
To take an online 3D tour of our museum to view our spaces, or to review our full position posting, please visit www.lougheedhouse.com and visit the “Virtual Tour” and “Opportunites” tab respectively.
POSITION TITLE: Holiday Interior Space Designer
REPORTS TO: Programs Manager, Lougheed House
OVERVIEW: Reporting to the Programs Manager, our Holiday Designers are responsible for working closely with numerous staff members and volunteers to develop and install an outstanding interior holiday design that will enhance the visitor experience at Lougheed House.
There are six key sections of the house our Designers focus on: Drawing Room, Mission Room, Dining Room & Senator’s Study, Front Foyer & Main Hall, north section of the Second Floor and south section of the Second Floor. Each Designer will take creative control over one or more section and will be provided with a corresponding materials budget as well as an honorarium for each space. Designers will have access to the collection of ornaments, trees, furniture, and decorations in the Lougheed House storage facility. Costs associated with the transportation of materials between Lougheed House and their storage space as well as between a Designer’s storage space (if applicable) will be covered and coordinated by Lougheed House staff. Designers will also have access, with permission from the Lougheed House Curator, to the furniture in the Lougheed House collection and any objects made available through the House’s established community partners. To fully realize their design, Designers are free to explore additional community partnerships only after consulting with a supervising member of the Lougheed House staff.
Designers will work with the Lougheed House team to determine the final look of their space and are also encouraged to collaborate with their fellow Designers to create a cohesive look and feel.
SCHEDULING AND DEADLINES:
Each Designer is expected to meet the deadlines and timeline established by Lougheed House staff. The Lougheed House staff will do everything in their power to be accommodating of individual schedules.
Designers will have a detailed floor plan of their space as well as the final draft of their design text submitted to Lougheed House no later than November 3, 2020.
Designers will be prepared to load-in and complete their designs by November 17, 2020. This includes all furniture and décor elements. Designers and Lougheed House staff, with the support of volunteers, will be available to complete the holiday install over November 16 and 17, 2020. Designers will inform the Programs Manager of any individual support needs at least a week prior to install. It is expected all Designers will be available to help Lougheed House staff and volunteers complete incoming condition reports and evaluations of their chosen room(s). Lougheed House will make every effort to be accommodating of individual designer schedules.
Designers are expected to leave their designs intact until the end of the exhibition. Tear-down of the season will happen on January 18 and 19, 2021. Designers are expected to be available to help with outgoing condition reporting and packing.
- Post-secondary diploma/education in theatre design, visual art, interior design, or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience
- A minimum 3 years’ experience working as a designer
- Passion/strong interest and knowledge in design, art, culture, or history is a definite asset
- Periodically lift objects weighing up to 25 pounds
- Climb stairs
- Stand for one to two hours at a time
- Occasionally stoop, kneel or crouch
- Use hands and arms to reach for, grasp, and manipulate objects.
Lougheed House is committed to, and values, diversity in the workplace.
DURATION: This is a contract position involving a minimum of 36 – 44 hours of work.
COMPENSATION: Honoraria for each Designer is connected to the space they are designing. Designers are welcome to design more than one space. Please include in your submission which spaces you might be inspired to transform.
- Design and installation in the Drawing Room, or Mission Room- $600 per room
Materials Budget: $250.00 per room above.
- Design and installation for the Dining Room & Senator’s Study – $500
Materials Budget: $200.00
- Design and installation for the Main Hall & Grand Staircase – $500
Materials Budget: $200.00
- Design and installation for the north portion of the Second Floor (Restoration Room, Senator’s Bedroom, & Writing Room) – $400
Materials Budget: $125.00
- Design and installation for the south portion of the Second Floor (Clarence’s Bedroom, Isabella’s Bedroom & Sitting Room) – $400
Materials Budget: $125.00
ITEMS TO INCLUDE IN APPLICATION:
- Resume/CV of past design work
- Cover letter outlining why you would like to work with Lougheed House on this project, what spaces you’re inspired to design, and why you feel you would be a good fit for the project
- Visual portfolio outlining examples of your past work that are relevant to our project (submitting a link to your personal website is also acceptable)
Submissions should be sent by email to:
Holleay Rohm, Programs Manager
We thank all applicants for their interest in these positions; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone inquiries, please.
APPLICATION CLOSING DATE: October 26th, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. MST
For more information on Lougheed House or about the position, please go to lougheedhouse.com or visit us at 707-13 Avenue SW, Calgary, AB.