A CHRISTMAS CAROL DRAG STORY
Adapted and directed by: Shannon Murphy
Production dates: December 16th-23rd
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS EXTENDED TO OCTOBER 7!
ABOUT THE PROJECT:
Blue Jeans Theatre is seeking submissions for their drag adaptation of A Christmas Carol. Think Queer Eye makeover with drag performer ghosts of Christmas Past, Future, and Present who help Scrooge embrace his inner self. All your favourite characters come with a modern-day twist, while keeping Dickens’ time-honoured elements of magic and joy.
- Given the rising Covid cases and ongoing uncertainty about public gatherings this show will have a virtual run.
- Rehearsals start beginning of November.
- Payment will be by honorarium.
Blue Jeans Theatre is a queer theatre collective founded by Shannon Murphy and Kristy Benz. Our aim is to make theatre accessible to the public, to unite Calgarians through art, and to spread joy and acceptance.
ROLES TO BE CAST:
- Scrooge (M) – Young capitalist
- Marley (M) – Dead, to begin with. Scrooge’s past partner
- Fred – Scrooge’s nephew. A community activist and host of at-risk youth.
- Bob – Employee of Scrooge
- Tiny Tim – Young, at-risk teen
- Spirit of Christmas Past – Drag performer
- Spirit of Christmas Future – Drag performer
The role of Christmas Present has already been cast.
For the characters of Scrooge and Marley we are seeking male-identifying actors. All other roles are open to any gender representation.
Blue Jean Theatre seeks to meet the 35//50 Initiative. We encourage submissions from IBPOC artists, as well as all gender identities and sexual orientations.
To audition, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “CHRISTMAS
CAROL SUBMISSION + YOUR NAME + ROLE.”
Your submission should include:
- A pdf file of your headshot and resume
- An audition video of no longer than 3 minutes.
For the Spirits: We would like to see your drag persona. Please tell one holiday story, real or fictional, and also perform a lip sync to a song of your choice.
For all other roles: Please perform one contemporary monologue and tell one holiday story, real or fictional.
Submissions deadline has been extended to Wednesday, October 7!