JOB POSTING – PRODUCTION MANAGER/TECHNICAL DIRECTOR
Application Deadline: September 17, 2020
Downstage is seeking a candidate with strong technical knowledge to fill the part-time position of Production Manager. This contract runs from November 1, 2020 to August 31, 2021, with the potential to renew.
We are committed to employment equity and diversity and encourage applications from all individuals. We endeavor to create fundamental and systemic shifts in theatre creation and production as we amplify intersectional stories and artists. We will happily provide training and opportunities for growth for the right candidate to be successful in this position.
THE DOWNSTAGE PERFORMANCE SOCIETY (Downstage) is a professional theatre company and registered charity located in the heart of downtown Calgary.
OUR MANDATE is to produce Canadian Theatre that creates meaningful conversation around current issues and encourages societal awareness and action.
OUR MISSION is to engage artists and the public in theatrical experiences that go beyond intellectual understanding and ignite a heartfelt need for change.
- We value the health and well-being of people first, including our employees, artists, board, volunteers and community partners.
- We have a strong focus on creating safe, inclusive and accessible spaces, welcoming people who are new to our theatres and our artistic processes.
- We engage with the complexity of both the issues we tackle and the people impacted, and embolden the creative voices of all involved.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Production Manager’s responsibilities encompass but are not limited to Production Management / Technical Direction of Downstage’s shows and special events, with duties Including:
- Planning, management and tracking of production budgets and production designs
- Sourcing, renting and purchasing materials as necessary for the productions
- Approval of set, lighting, projection and sound designs and supervising their implementation
- Creating and maintaining production and tech schedules
- Alongside the director, oversee and manage activities of designers and stage management
throughout rehearsals, tech and performances
- Engaging and coordinating crew for setup and strike
- Management of the Motel Theatre in Arts Commons, Including:
- Booking the venue with the oversight of the Artistic and Managing Directors
- Liaise with independent companies renting Motel Theatre, including issuing rental contracts
and invoices and maintaining a rental calendar
- Space maintenance including venue checks at the end of each rental period and completing
or contracting out minor repairs
- Liaising with Arts Commons as the representative for the venue
- Supervising Downstage crews in Motel Theatre and providing technical assistance for
renters as required
- Able to work both independently and in close collaboration on tasks
- Able to problem-solve calmly and effectively, including when under pressure
- A strong communicator, both in-person and in writing
- Knowledge of theatrical sound, projection and lighting equipment
- Experience with how to create a budget and track expenses
- A valid driver’s license
- The ability to participate ‘hands on’ in set ups and strikes, such as lifting and pushing objects
of up to 50 lbs
- Experience with new work creation is an asset
- Ability to read and understand Vectorworks or a willingness to learn
- Previous experience as a theatre technical director, production manager or running a venue
is preferred but not required
- Relevant experience or education in event management, film production, facility operations (i.e. sporting and music events) will be considered as equivalent experience
- First Aid training is an asset
- Excellent computer skills
HOURS & COMPENSATION
This is a part-time position that runs from November 1, 2020 to August 31, 2021 with the potential for renewal. The contract is for a total of 500 hours at $20/hour with an average of 5 to 10 hours worked in a typical week and 20 to 40 hours worked in production weeks. Some work from home is possible, and currently, all Downstage staff are working from home due to COVID-19. It is expected that work will be primarily concentrated around our producing activities, with some ongoing administrative work throughout the season. As this is a part-time contract, we fully expect you to be balancing multiple commitments – however, you must have excellent availability during production rehearsals, tech and runs. For the 2020/21 season, this will be February, April and May 2021.
APPLICATION PROCESS & HIRING SCHEDULE
To apply for this position, please submit a resume and letter of interest that specifically addresses your experience in and commitment to the essential qualifications listed in this call. Please submit these materials as a .pdf file(s) to Managing Director Danielle Whyte at [email protected] with the subject “PM Application” by end of day on Friday, September 17, 2020. We will confirm receipt of all applications, then contact candidates we wish to interview. You will be asked to provide two references at the time of your interview. Thanks for your interest in Downstage!