Lunchbox Theatre is hiring an Artistic Director.
You will be responsible for producing great theatre. Period.
For 46 of the past 47 years we’ve produced one-act plays that delight noon time Calgary audiences. Our audience is loyal, but when we come out of the COVID-19 crisis we want them to fall in love with theatre…especially one-act plays…all over again.
Summary of your Impact:
- 1 month – keep the company artistically engaged during our COVID-19 hiatus
- 3 months – choose a handful of new scripts for development
- 6 months – choose the plays we’ll present when we re-emerge in the fall of 2021
- 9 months – run new play development workshops and build a pipeline for the future
- 1 year – produce the season of plays you chose; woo our audience out of social isolation and help the Board re-envision Lunchbox Theatre
- 2 years – plan the long-term artistic future of Lunchbox Theatre…and repeat most of the above steps all over again
- Produce great theatre – delight, inspire, and amaze our audience. The buck stops with you, but all glory is shared
- Find artists who are equally passionate about theatre and enable them to do their thing. That includes mentoring and supporting emerging and diverse artists. We are a tiny theatre, but we want to be a very big tent
- Contribute artistically by acting, directing, dramaturgy, designing, writing … do whatever you’re best at. We want you to thrive
- Lead the development of our long-term artistic vision
- Have strict accountability for production budgets – expenses and revenues
- Collaborate closely with the Administration Manager in grant proposals
- Support the Administrative Manager; monthly reporting; programming ancillary activities; support grant writing; support fundraising and development; build warm relationships with funders, sponsors, and donors; engage with the community at large; reach new and diverse audiences; be responsive and collaborative
- Be the public face of Lunchbox Theatre; advocate on its behalf
General Qualifications and Skills:
- Experience, talent, and training in at least one theatre discipline — especially new play development
- Arts administration experience is an asset
- General business skills (accounting, marketing, etc.) and a history of getting things done
Apply by email, in PDF format only to [email protected]
• Current CV
• Cover letter highlighting your strongest qualifications
• Two professional references
This is a full-time position with a salary of $60,000 – $65,000 a year plus benefits. The application deadline is September 4, 2020.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We thank all who apply, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. If you have any questions or concerns about this job posting, you can also reach out directly to the email provided above.