Fire Exit Theatre’s
Sripts on Fire
New Play Competition
*New lower entry fee*
What are you thinking about these days? What are your thoughts, dreams, fears for the new world? Or do we just go back to the old? Is God on the move or has he gone MIA?
We would love to know what’s rumbling around inside of you. About being broken. Being healed. Being afraid. Being courageous. Being together. Being alone. Being certain in uncertainty. Being human.
We love stories about what you believe, what you don’t believe and why. We exist to create conversations and tell stories that matter.
Send us yours.
If you’ve never submitted to us, this is the year. Seriously, it is.
If you have submitted in the past and have done some rewrites it may be time to submit again.
- The competition is open to all residents of Canada.
- Scripts that have been entered in other playwriting competitions are eligible.
- Scripts that have gone through a workshop or been given public readings are eligible.
- Scripts that have been produced professionally are NOT eligible. Plays that have been commissioned are NOT eligible. (Any public performance, in which production members were paid beyond an honorarium, will be considered a professional production).
- Staff of Fire Exit Theatre and those involved in the administration of the competition are NOT eligible.
Script Submission Requirements
- The script must be received by the deadline.
- The script must be submitted through the Scripts on Fire New Play Competition website submission form.
- Scripts formatting should be:
- PDF format only and under 25MB
- The PDF must be portrait 8.5″ x 11″. No booklet formats
- Font: Arial, Times Roman or similar
- Font size: 10 to 12 points
- Play title and page number must appear on the top of each page
- Text should be double-spaced between speaking parts
- No reference to the playwright should appear anywhere in the script – including on the title and cover page.
- Scripts will be destroyed following the competition unless permission has been granted by the playwright for Fire Exit Theatre to retain a copy.
- First Prize: $750 plus a staged reading and the potential of a production. (Fire Exit Theatre will have first right of refusal for inaugural production).
- Honourable Mentions: A prize of $250 will awarded for Honourable Mention (up to 2 per competition).
For further information, contact Val Lieske, Managing Artistic Director, Fire Exit Theatre, at firstname.lastname@example.org
DEADLINE: SEPTEMBER 15th, 2020
ENTRY FEE: ONLY $25