JOB POSTING: GENERAL MANAGER
ABOUT ALBERTA THEATRE PROJECTS
Alberta Theatre Projects is in its 48th Season producing live, professional, contemporary theatre in
The 2019-20 Season has received outstanding reviews from theatre-goers and critics alike with the
Calgary Herald saying the organization is “ON A ROLL”. Subscription sales are at a 10 year high with 600
new subscribers. The holiday production of The Lion, the Witch & the Wardrobe became the highest
selling production in the theatre’s history. Overall ticket sales revenue is up 90% year over year,
attendance is up 78% and paid attendance is up 87%. Alberta Theatre Projects recently announced 6
plays in four different seating configurations for the 2020-21 Season: Teenage Dick, New Magic Valley
Fun Town, Peter Pan, Undressed, Bang Bang and Cabaret.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The General Manager is the glue that holds together our wonderfully eclectic mixture of people,
projects and priorities. The General Manager will manage our team and our day-to-day operations
including Finance, Administration, Human Resources, and Front of House. The General Manager will
report to the Executive & Artistic Director (EAD).
We are looking for an energetic and collaborative leader that can hit the ground running and rally the
team around our key priorities.
- Financial Management
– Jointly with the Executive Director & Artistic Director, develop annual budget and forecasts for
presentation to the Finance Committee and the Board of Directors.- Responsible for full cycle accounting with financial statement preparation and analysis including,
accounts payable and receivable, cash flow and variances, overseeing payroll, and issuing of
cheques, employee records, & tax receipts.
– Monitor and review expenditures to ensure they stay within budget guidelines
– Proactively identify potential problems, concerns and shortfalls (against budget) and in
consultation with the Executive Director & Artistic Director, either implement solutions or
recommend solutions to the Finance Committee.
– Cash flow analysis and management
– Audit preparation and coordination
- Human Resource Management
– Develop an efficient and effective people plan for delivering administrative services for ATP.
– Participate in the recruitment, selection, orientation and ongoing assessment of new team
– Utilize a performance & development process to facilitate on-going performance conversations
with team members.
– Develop administrative policies and processes.
- Front of House
– Oversee all front of house teams.
– Collaborate with the Ticketing Sales Manager to oversee Box Office Operations.
– Collaborate with the Front of House Manager to create bar and merchandise revenue
strategies and sales targets.
– Oversee daily business operations.
– Promote Alberta Theatre Projects’ vision and mission.
– Align the work of the team to the ATP Strategic Plan.
– Develop a positive environment for team members that facilitates open communication and
– Work collaboratively with the EAD, production and artistic teams to achieve goals and priorities.
– Build relationships with other theatre companies in Calgary and stay connected to best practices
within the industry.
Education and Experience
- 5+ years relevant management experience in theatre or arts administration.
- 5 + years of experience with managing full cycle accounting and budgeting.
- Experience preparing grant applications and all required government correspondence.
NICE TO HAVE
Skills and Abilities
- A can-do attitude and a willingness to go above and beyond when necessary.
- Very strong organizational skills, including balancing multiple responsibilities and effectively
- Very strong planning and project management skills–being able to plan and execute on
identified deliverables which generally have timelines of 3 to 12 months.
- Excellent technical skills with advanced proficiency with Microsoft Office products, especially
Excel, experience with Quickbooks is an asset.
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills (written and verbal).
- Experience with CRM systems is an asset.
- Experience with CTA, IATSE, ADC agreements.
- Strong, proven ability to manage, coach and mentor direct reports.
- Proven ability to work independently as well as within a team environment.
- Very strong customer service orientation.
- Being adaptable and able to work in a changing environment.
- Available for occasional evening and weekend work.
HOW TO APPLY
Please email a letter of interest and resume by email to Darcy Evans, Executive & Artistic Director
firstname.lastname@example.org. Review of applications will begin March 6th at 5:00 p.m. MST. Applications will
continue to be accepted until the position is filled. To receive full consideration, please apply by
Alberta Theatre Projects is committed to reflecting the diversity of our community. We believe in equity
and inclusion and strongly encourage submissions from all qualified individuals regardless of gender,
age, race, sexual orientation, and physical ability.
Thank you to all applicants. Only those selected for interviews will be contacted. For more information
about Alberta Theatre Projects please visit our website, www.albertatheatreprojects.com