Play: Bang Bang by Kat Sandler
Director: Haysam Kadri
Production Dates: January 14 – February 20, 2021
Audition Date: Friday, March 6, 2020
Audition Location: Calgary, Alberta
Casting Personnel in Attendance:
Haysam Kadri – Director
Dianne Goodman – Producer, Alberta Theatre Projects
HOW TO APPLY:
- Submit an e-mail containing the following items to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following in the subject header: BANG BANG Auditions + YOUR NAME + Character + Equity Status
- Please include in your submission: Your headshot and theatre résumé
- We encourage submissions if you are not available for the Calgary audition dates, but are available and interested in being considered for the production.
- Deadline to Apply: February 26, 2020
- Only those selected for an audition will be contacted to schedule an audition time. No calls, please.
- Canadian Actors Equity Association members will be seen first at all open audition calls.
- CAEA Members: please bring your membership number to the audition. Equity and Non-Equity members cast in this production will be engaged under a CTA contract.
Alberta Theatre Projects is committed to reflecting the diversity of our community. We believe in equity and inclusion and strongly encourage submissions from all artists regardless of gender, age, race, sexual orientation, physical and mental ability, and experience.
ABOUT THE PLAY:
A young, black cop shoots an unarmed black kid. The story becomes a hit play, and the hit play is about to become a big-budget film, and Lila – the cop at the heart of it all – doesn’t want anything to do with it. When the white playwright comes knocking at her door, followed by a washed-up child star slated to play the film’s lead, the unusual collection of characters try to bridge their differences by staging a farcical reading of the play in the middle of Lila’s living room. With irreverence and razor-sharp wit, Kat Sandler’s ripped-from-the-headlines social satire explores art, identity and how we engage with experiences that aren’t our own.
Lila (late 20’s): a young Black ex-cop, has been on leave from the police force ever since she shot an unarmed Black youth. She’s back living with her mother Karen and is reclusive and depressed. Contributing greatly to her misery is a play based on her story, by white writer Tim, which made the shooting even more of a sensation and led to Lila being publicly vilified.
Karen (50s-60s – Black): Lila’s protective mother and professional therapist, has a balance of skillful social arguments and warmth and generosity that comes from her life experience.